Cargo Van's starting to log?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have heard from couple of people if you are running long distance from your starting point and over 200 air miles in a non dot unit you will be required to start logging sometime in future
a couple of company's now require there van driver's to log now

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not a peep in the Federal Register about the DOT expanding the scope of applicability of the FMCSRs to apply to non-CMVs, nor regarding changing the definitions of a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't believe it will happen any time soon. The problem is having a DOT approved sleeper. The carriers keep saying that I think( they were saying 4 years ago when I got in) because there trying to sway new hires to get a straight truck instead.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will never happen!! Its up to the companies if they want there van drivers to log. Those are the companies you do not want to drive a van for. You won't make any money.

Reactions: guido4475

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We don't log but the company does. We get 18hrs total clock time, with 16 hrs drive time. 1hr taken for loading and 1 hr for unloading. Supposedly figured at 50 mph miles per hr at 18 hours for a total of 900 miles. Or 55 mph 16 hrs drive time 880 miles, OR 45 mph with 16 hours drive time 720 miles, OR 45 mph with 18 hrs 810 miles . All depends who's dispatching your load. I've excepted load board loads with 870 mile and turned down because it needs a team. I've also been granted 900 mile loads. I've been turned for load a with 760 miles. Had many conversations with people in different departments and get a different answer everytime. The only answer that is constant is they log us. The thing that's really frustrating is laying in at delivery all night delivering in 15 minutes and now my clock has started. Once we check in at a center the clock counts down. When we have 6 hrs setting once again we get our 18 back. So I can sit for 10 hrs waiting to unload and be on duty for 10-15 minutes and my clock is running again. I get it it's the same with big trucks except they don't get their time back after 6. Almost always when you call in and disagree with the not granted thing the load goes to another truck. I'm good with 18 hr 900 mile thing but 720 miles in 18 hrs not so much.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You have it better now than when I was there. I remember a few loads that were around 710 miles (including the deadhead) and they were swapped out because they were over their rule of 700 miles. One was from Atlanta to Chicago, dispatched the day before for an AM pickup. They expected me to leave home and sleep the night in downtown Atlanta. They ended up swapping the load in Indianapolis. I'm sooooo happy I don't have to deal with this foolishness any more.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started when it was 700 miles, on percentage. I'm doing much better with the load board but I still don't get the miles I would like.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find it interesting how, when not regulated, how hard companies will push drivers. 16 hours driving time in an 18 hour window. Awful generous of the company there. I'm sure safety is first and foremost concern they have. And surely the pay is phenomenally good to be pushing people to work so hard, no complaints there, right?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find it interesting how, when not regulated, how hard companies will push drivers. 16 hours driving time in an 18 hour window. Awful generous of the company there. I'm sure safety is first and foremost concern they have. And surely the pay is phenomenally good to be pushing people to work so hard, no complaints there, right?
A few carriers probably push van drivers to drive that way, but most just offer the load and if you can/want to do it they won't prevent you from doing it. I've had loads where 16 or even 20 hours wasn't a problem, because I was in a state of being well rested, good weather and driving conditions ahead, etc. But I've also been where even 8 hours would be a problem. If I don't want of can't do the load, I'll tell 'em up front, and I'll tell 'em why. I've never been pressured to drive more hours than I'm prepared to drive. I've had instances where they've offered me a long load, and I'll tell them I can do it, but I'll need an extra x-hours built into the delivery time in order to get the rest I know I'm going to need. If tey can do that, great, if the customer doesn't want to give those hours, that's fine, too.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cargo vans will NEVER log. Just think about all of the van you see on the road. DOT officers in each state, have a difficult time keeping up with all of the big trucks as it is. Can you imagine what would happen if they had to include cargo vans? Most importantly, there's no money in it. A Level 1 inspection on a semi or straight truck, can't be duplicated on a cargo van/Sprinter. The best they could do, is a Level 2, which is just paperwork. Huge waste of time, just to see if your log is up to date.

Sent from my SM-N910P using EO Forums mobile app

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If they want to regulate vans they will. It doesn't matter that they don't even have enough people to inspect semis and straights. Government doesn't do things that make financial sense but why do you think they can't impose fines on cargo vans? It's just a matter of passing some laws and regulations.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Cargo vans will NEVER log. Just think about all of the van you see on the road. DOT officers in each state, have a difficult time keeping up with all of the big trucks as it is. Can you imagine what would happen if they had to include cargo vans? Most importantly, there's no money in it. A Level 1 inspection on a semi or straight truck, can't be duplicated on a cargo van/Sprinter. The best they could do, is a Level 2, which is just paperwork. Huge waste of time, just to see if your log is up to date.

Sent from my SM-N910P using EO Forums mobile app

Apperantly some vans log now depending on what they are hauling. Never say never.
Why would a level 1 inspection be out of the question?
Vans still have steering components, tires, windshields, wiper blades, ABS lights, unsecured loads etc etc. All plenty of items to violate. And don't think for a minute that a Level 2 inspection won't bring the state some added revenue.
Passing new laws and legislation just may not be that far fetched. Biggest hurdles would be to make the DOT/Law makers see the extra money and to get the carriers to realize how much safer they would be :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
couple years ago Indiana a troop pulled me over and asked if I was HOS compliant....no sir....well I am giving you a level 3 inspection which appears it was just a once over visible thingee....plate light out...well crap I thought...I have like 72 hrs to get it fixed, fax the document to carrier safety department..just a PIA..he was a young fellow..

Reactions: Pro3500