April Locations and Banter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, so did dispatch suggest those empty moves?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.
Yes....I don't think going to Laredo was in his best interest...a CV like Guido and the competition are killer combination...better to go to LR or Memphis...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And to take the line of thought one step further...LR or Memphis would not have been so hot....had he DH' d on his own dime there...he would not be spending 60-70 bucks a day to idle, hence the move would have paid him back...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Yes....I don't think going to Laredo was in his best interest...a CV like Guido and the competition are killer combination...better to go to LR or Memphis...

That's what I was thinking. Don't think I would DH 400 miles to Laredo. I think I would have headed north east out of Amarillo.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Still here in Laredo..Finally got to meet Chef today, a real super-nice guy, with a sweet ride also! Also another Load One driver, whose name I forgot already...My mind is just a little cloudy right now, and not in the best of moods. I guess I'm going to have to deadhead out of Texas...Going to start putting limitations on where I go from now on..

I've had a straight that was in KC for 5 days, one sprinter down for a week due to a death in the family, one sprinter down for a week due to a birth in the family, one straight on his third day in Jacksonville, one straight down for two weeks due to no driver after three weeks in the shop, and one straight down because I had to let the driver go, and I've been down for two months due to back surgery.

What is it you're sig line reads??? I'm getting back up and I don't plan on putting limitations on where any truck goes.

C'mon guido, we work with the best carrier in the business. John doesn't put limitations on what he does for us. The industry is slow, it happens, it has been before and it will be again.

At least here, you know that all that can be done is being done.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what I was thinking. Don't think I would DH 400 miles to Laredo. I think I would have headed north east out of Amarillo.

For some reason the load Gods look out over me in Dallas...I would have given that a try and if no bites then unto the LR/Memphis area...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
And to take the line of thought one step further...LR or Memphis would not have been so hot....had he DH' d on his own dime there...he would not be spending 60-70 bucks a day to idle, hence the move would have paid him back...

Yep, a generator and AC is a must in a van. Sure got spoiled with the Apu on the truck. Gonna order the Yamaha next month.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Our dispatch has no problem with Dhing us to San Ant or Eagle Pass from Laredo...so why go all the way down to Laredo...why not stop in San Ant? you still have EP covered, could scoot over to Houston and have Austin even Waco covered?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Our dispatch has no problem with Dhing us to San Ant or Eagle Pass from Laredo...so why go all the way down to Laredo...why not stop in San Ant? you still have EP covered, could scoot over to Houston and have Austin even Waco covered?

Would have been a no brained for me. I am from Austin, so I would stop there and stay with family or friends.

Maybe Joplin.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

I don't know how it is now, but in the 90s I used to take a lot of freight from Taylor Tx. to Laredo for First Air express in Austin.

guido4475

Not a Member
From what I am hearing here at the Flying J lot is that the border was closed due to good friday, and it will be open tomarrow until 4.So I will give it until then, and if nothing happens, start moving northward towards little rock, and write this week off as a loss,being in the red.The way it was explained to me was that it was moving real well down here, and we were getting everyone out real quick,so it was suggested I come down here, since everyone was gone, and I would be #1, which I still am.I was simply doing what dispatch was suggesting.But,yes, being a cargo van has it's price, and I am paying for it down here.A lesson learned.Mostly cubes and sprinters down here, with a few cargo vans from other carriers as well.Yes, I hate to set limitations, but if it is not a good area that produces freight for cargo vans, why bother to come down here in the first place? Load one loses just as much as I do, in a sense, either by paid empty move, wait time pay, or lost revenue by me not being loaded.If you had divorced youre spouse for cheating on you, would you re-marry again to the same person? I think not, so this is how I am beginning to feel about coming down here as well.I am looking forward to meeting up withthe rest of the Load One drivers on their way down, it is like a family re union.We are Family here.No other company has a bond between drivers and it's owner like at Load One.No body.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Guido, you weren't kidding about the amount of Sprinters down here. Fuel'd up at the J about an hour ago and it looked like A. Blair's new office is the Laredo J.

Waiting for the Cons to open so I can unload, then off to the TA to shower then begins the search for a new generator and a/c unit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guido, you weren't kidding about the amount of Sprinters down here. Fuel'd up at the J about an hour ago and it looked like A. Blair's new office is the Laredo J.

Waiting for the Cons to open so I can unload, then off to the TA to shower then begins the search for a new generator and a/c unit.

If your going to do the window gig only one model really fits in our size windows....

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Which model and what big box store do you get it from?

Haven't decided if we are going to do the window model or a smaller roll around unit. My concerns with the window shaker is that it puts stress on the window since most of the small ones weigh in between 50-80 lbs, therefor I would have to design some type of bracing to hold the unit and take the weight off the glass. One other option we found was a smaller roll around unit at Target thats 10K btu.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which model and what big box store do you get it from?

Haven't decided if we are going to do the window model or a smaller roll around unit. My concerns with the window shaker is that it puts stress on the window since most of the small ones weigh in between 50-80 lbs, therefor I would have to design some type of bracing to hold the unit and take the weight off the glass. One other option we found was a smaller roll around unit at Target thats 10K btu.

Becareful with those 10K roll arounds..some don't work with the gen...the only window model that I've found that works is 5,000 or is it 5200 btu is the Haier brand from wally word for 90 bucks, but doesn't really help much at high noon...ask Chef about his Edgestar roll around and the website....Steady Eddie and I both have them as well...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
On the Yamaha website it says their 2400 model can run up to a 10k air conditioner.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the Yamaha website it says their 2400 model can run up to a 10k air conditioner.

"THEY" say...I would take it carefully out of the box and field try it first....for the compressor to kick in and see if it handles the surge....then let it run to see if it doesn't kick out...some will, some won't...like I said no problem with the Edgestar running....but I have another model at home same BTU's but it doesn't run with gen...it draws more power then the Edgestar..but same BTU's...