Anyone out there letting O/O's bid their own loads?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
As a cargo van driver, I don't feel like people here who are saying you don't HAVE to leave Laredo for .50/mile are really understanding the plight of myself and other CV drivers. If we work for a company that directly says to us, "Hey, it's REALLY hard for us to get loads out of Laredo, so we're going to bid the jobs at around 50 cents. Is that ok with you?" What are we supposed to do?

At first, having read on here advice before it ever occured, I'd say no, I'd like at least 70 cents, then I never get it. I'd sit in perpetuity. I don't know if my company just isn't trying at that point because I pissed them off, or if they're right and it's impossible to get loads for 70 cents in a cargo van at this company coming out of Laredo. What I DO know, is that when I tell them, "Sure, I'll take 50 cents a mile." I STILL wait for up to a week to get a load. I had maybe 8 calls from my company asking if I'd be interested in loads at 50 cpm. I said yes every time, and they didn't call back, which means they didn't win the bid at 50 cents.

I finally ended up winning a load at 50 cpm that had me deadhead 2 hours out first to get 700 loaded miles. Does this pay the bills? Absolutely not. But it paid for my fuel to get out of there. If I KNEW I was going to have to wait a week when I pulled into Laredo, I probably would have just paid for my own fuel to deadhead out of there day 1 after getting some sleep. But you never know.
Ask for more money on the Laredo run. You go in Laredo with higher rate than regular and come out with lower one.Or dont go...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly as the 2 above posts said.. For your time and effort to get to Laredo you could make as much staying in the Ohio/ aka quad state area

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Are you saying you make about 90 cents per mile excuse me 90.75 cents per mile is that with a multi-carrier or with one of the big-name carriers

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Please explain to how to me how you were able to acquire a 1.38? Is it the company or are you driving a sprinter

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Just last week I was in Laredo. my carrier was trying to get me out of there. Two all in bids at 60 cents per mile. The carrier did not add any extra monies to that bid. 0 money for the carrier. Did not get either load. I left for 54 cents

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just last week I was in Laredo. my carrier was trying to get me out of there. Two all in bids at 60 cents per mile. The carrier did not add any extra monies to that bid. 0 money for the carrier. Did not get either load. I left for 54 cents

It's better than leaving empty, but someone made big bucks out of that run while you just left Laredo... as other guys told you on this thread, when you go to Laredo ask for more moolah to cover your next low pay return trip...

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Good advice. You know $0.90 is hard to come by. and if I leave for .54 that's still not a good weekly average.runs out of there are usually long there and back and take up a week

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
You know I guess it comes down to relationships and if you can catch someone needing that load moved and holding out for that good price. Then again how many middlemen are there.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind that those two 60 cent bids which you didn't get may not have gone to cheaper bidders.

Reactions: davekc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind that those two 60 cent bids which you didn't get may not have gone to cheaper bidders.
yep....the broker or whom ever could have been fishing for a price....didn't get what they liked and decided to go with LTL instead.....happens alot especially early in the day.....so the shipper can still schedule an LTL pick up for the afternoon...

Reactions: ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good advice. You know $0.90 is hard to come by. and if I leave for .54 that's still not a good weekly average.runs out of there are usually long there and back and take up a week
If you run for a decent carrier there is no need to leave for .54 even in a Volkswagen bug. When people begin to understand their being taken advantage of this industry will be much improved. Why would you run for someone who has to go the cheap to secure freight, I honestly don't get it.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you run for a decent carrier there is no need to leave for .54 even in a Volkswagen bug. When people begin to understand their being taken advantage of this industry will be much improved. Why would you run for someone who has to go the cheap to secure freight, I honestly don't get it.
Because the carriers that can get a decent rate for their people aren't taking on any more vans right now. Of course the bottom feeding carriers will always take on vans no matter whether there is any work for them or not.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
yep....the broker or whom ever could have been fishing for a price....didn't get what they liked and decided to go with LTL instead.....happens alot especially early in the day.....so the shipper can still schedule an LTL pick up for the afternoon...
LTL expedite, possibly, or as xiggi noted, a decent carrier. If the only thing you have to offer is price, that's all you'll be judged on. If it's merely exclusive use of the truck and the delivery guarantee is only quasi important, then the cheapest price may be all that matters, but if delivery is critical, or if s certain level of insurance is required, then a high ranking carrier with a history of reliability may win the bid regardless of price. Oftentimes customers accept bids from everyone, but they'll only actually consider the bids from a few select carriers.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the advice I've been doing this about 6 months. I think draw I should find carriers that have better relationships.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes I go to Laredo ,mcallen,eagle pass,elp associated for a good rate and leave for a good rate and sometimes as I'm heading in I stare counting vans and drop off and what the blank grab a motel room and before I can get a shower have a load with right now pick up and sometimes I dead head to dallas and grab a load from there it's a guessing game but I've also sat every where else to so what's the difference

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes I go to Laredo ,mcallen,eagle pass,elp associated for a good rate and leave for a good rate and sometimes as I'm heading in I stare counting vans and drop off and what the blank grab a motel room and before I can get a shower have a load with right now pick up and sometimes I dead head to dallas and grab a load from there it's a guessing game but I've also sat every where else to so what's the difference
20 degrees lol.