Anyone out there letting O/O's bid their own loads?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trying to understand your point here. Are you saying the large carriers pay your insurance costs for you if you're an O/O for them?

As an O/O working in the multi-carrier model, my insurance costs are high, but I wouldn't think they're much different than in the exclusive side. Honestly, any additional money spent in insurance is probably more than offset by qualcom fees and random nickel and diming that happens with many the exclusive carriers.
My ins. costs me $30/wk for my Sprinter and I work for one of the big exclusive carriers.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
My ins. costs me $30/wk for my Sprinter and I work for one of the big exclusive carriers.

That does seem pretty cheap. Is it insurance they provide at that price? I provide my own insurance, so I don't pay weekly, but if I did it would be about double that. $70/wk. But I don't have qualcomm fees or anything.

Some multi-carriers charge a small admin fee any week that you take work from them, but you're only charged for it if you work for them in a given week. So that means no escrow account that gets charges applied to it on weeks you don't work for them.

To be honest, I think it's a mistake for small carriers to charge this admin fee. It makes it less likely for drivers to accept work from them later in the pay period if they hadn't already worked for that carrier earlier in the week. If you charge $30 on any week I take work from you, and it's the end of a week that I haven't taken any work from you, I'm definitely not taking that short 150 dollar load that I'm losing 20% of.

On the other hand, if you take lots of work from a carrier to the tune of a couple thousand dollars in a week, paying $30 isn't so bad. Basically, as long as you know how to play the game, you can do fine with the multi-carrier. Just make sure you have multiple options in any given scenario and don't let anyone take advantage of you(any more than usual).

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Trying to understand your point here. Are you saying the large carriers pay your insurance costs for you if you're an O/O for them?

As an O/O working in the multi-carrier model, my insurance costs are high, but I wouldn't think they're much different than in the exclusive side. Honestly, any additional money spent in insurance is probably more than offset by qualcom fees and random nickel and diming that happens with many the exclusive carriers.
no, not saying that at all, not sure how you got that out of there, just saying what all costs that owner operators pay...it is pretty much the same in both models though, with more and more of the exclusive guys requiring that their owner operators pay for all the insurance...as do the multis.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
You brought up an excellent point:)

They'll participate If they are "Allowed."

The Multi(s), the Penske(s), the Russians and many others. They'll come. They'll become members, stop lurking and actively participate.

To accomplish this, EO community must provide them with the "buffer zone."

Only when they are safely allowed to voice their opinions, we will never know what more we can learn from these new members.

I would love to see this happens. If it does, I'll be glad to donate extra bottles of Advil to the Administrators and staff members..... Lol
when actual, specific names and faces are brought up instead of the bad ole multi's, it's a little different to demonize them; it would be like if donald duck trump would call his servants by their real names, instead of mexican criminals and rapists....but I digress.

Reactions: Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When things go bad it's a lot easier to blame a group that you can identify with then blame your own darn carrier

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My weekly deductions, including all administrative fees and nickels and dimes are:
Occ Acc Insurance - $30
Qualcomm Fee - $30
Truck Insurance - $23.73

Reactions: Treadmill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just out of curiousity, how are you guys getting insurance so cheap?
As xiggi noted, membership has its benefits.

Do you have 1 million liability and 100k cargo? I'd love to cut my insurance costs down by 65%....
Actually, we have $1 million Commercial General Liability, $1 million Automobile Liability, and $5 million Umbrella excess Liability. Cargo is $500,000

(according to the FMCSA, minimum cargo insurance is $300,000 for non-hazardous freight moved only in vehicles weighing under 10,001 lbs.).

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
(according to the FMCSA, minimum cargo insurance is $300,000 for non-hazardous freight moved only in vehicles weighing under 10,001 lbs.).

Yeah, I do see that on that page, but that chart is a bit ambiguous. From the same website, under "Types of Operating Authority", comes this:
FMCSA.GOV said:
Motor Carrier of Property (except Household Goods) OP-1 Instructions
An authorized for-hire Motor Carrier that transports regulated commodities (except household goods) for the general public in exchange for payment. Motor Carriers of Property (except Household Goods) must file proof of public liability (bodily injury and property damage — BI & PD) with FMCSA in order to obtain interstate Operating Authority. Cargo insurance is not required.

Regulated commodities are defined by the FMCSA as basically all manufactured goods, or non-manufactured goods that are worth money.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
While the FMCSA web-site info can indeed be confusing, make no mistake that you must have both public liability and cargo insurance to obtain and maintain operating authority. "Contract" carriers are not required to file cargo insurance information with the FMCSA, whereas "Common" carriers are required. The minimum amount of cargo insurance required by statute is paltry in relation to the levels required by any reputable shipper or broker. Additionally, the cargo insurance component of any policy (in any amount really) is rather small ... Public liability is the big number.

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As xiggi noted, membership has its benefits.

Actually, we have $1 million Commercial General Liability, $1 million Automobile Liability, and $5 million Umbrella excess Liability. Cargo is $500,000

Turtle, I believe the minimum liability insurance for a contract or common carrier is 300,000. I'm not sure there is a minimum limit on cargo insurance, but most brokers require their carriers to carry 100k in cargo insurance. Some customers like Ford or GM I believe require their carriers to have 250k in cargo insurance and 2 or 3 million dollars in general liability. You can elect to get 500k in cargo insurance on your own just like Load 1 did, but it is not a requirement. Just like you can elect to have a 100 thousand or 250 thousand dollar broker bond through TIA even though the FMCSA only requires brokers to carry a 75 thousand dollar bond. Somme shipments require a carrier to have 1 million dollars in cargo insurance, but you can only get that kind of coverage on a by shipment basis. Insurance carriers do not write standing cargo insurance policies for that high of an amount. I think it's a good thing when carriers get higher insurance levels than what is minimally required by the FMCSA. It can only help the industry in the long run and serve to protect all parties involved in the day to day business of a carrier.

I know I bash the bigger companies a lot, but I am also an ethical businessman and I believe in doing it the right way. I have personally learned a lot about being properly insured over the past few years. I have taken notes for when I start another carrier start-up.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My weekly deductions, including all administrative fees and nickels and dimes are:
Occ Acc Insurance - $30
Qualcomm Fee - $30
Truck Insurance - $23.73

That personal injury policy you have is pure gold. A lot of drivers fail to plan for catastrophic events. We do a job that is more dangerous tan being a police officer. We are on the roads in all manner of adverse driving conditions every day of the week. If you are ever injured in an accident, you will be covered for medical bills up to 1 million dollars, and for loss of income. I did not have this insurance when I fell off my truck and it really set me back a lot of time and money! Most of the multi-carrier drivers do not have personal injury insurance. That 120 dollars a month you're saving can come back to bite you in the arse if you ever become disabled from an on the job accident.

Reactions: RoadSaint