Anyone out there letting O/O's bid their own loads?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well DOH....no brainer....it was a Hazmat load and you had to DH to Houston to pick it up....The location of PU doesn't matter cuzz you got ALL miles anyways...nice load Ken...
Well, it was not placardable, anyone could have hauled it, including a cargo van. Two drums on one skid. I had to DH from the TA in Laredo all the way down to the Killiam Industrial Park to pick it up. It originated in Mexico, and delivered to Baytown (Channelview).

341 loaded, 6 DH, $528 and change.That's $1.52 a mile all miles.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last two loads from laredo too Michigan. One each of the previous two weeks. They did need a tall van. .50 they were not.

1.25 per mile
1 255 per mile

I also did a 6 mile load while there that paid roughly 58.00 per mile but those are the oddball loads most people experience a couple times a year.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last load out of there was paid ALL miles to Corpus Christi to Houston...unload and reload to N.O. $1.12 ALL miles....:)

I guess Turtle wins the ..." How far can you pee up the wall contest!" LOL....:p

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Sure or you could say 3 people just made very valid points as to why leaving there for .50 is a little on the crazy side.

but most people who DO NOT work for the company that you work for, must be on the crazy side since they have to take those loads to get out of there, too bad they do not work for your company, just saying...I pity those people too...

Reactions: Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless someone NEEDS to leave Laredo.... Like forgotten dr.s appointment or along that line .... Absolutely no reason for .50

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I didn't read that far down that it was drums. I have never gotten a load out of Laredo no matter how long I sit there. Laredo is my Kryptonite. I wouldn't take a load for 50 cents though. The lowest I will ever go in a cargo van is 70 cents per mile, and that doesn't happen very often!

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
whole lotta "crazy" people take .50 to leave laredo or other dead spots...elsewise, they can not get anything any better...not with the people they are working for or with...crazy, juse sayin.

Reactions: Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking for advice:
How long did you guys wait?
Thanks in advance
I've waited anywhere from 1 day to a week....
Keep in mind the load you get out will probably be significient miles to equal 1 weeks pay or close to it...
also think it'll probably be 1 load equal to close to 1500 miles so you'll run 1 load instead of 3 - 500 mile loads.
Relax.... enjoy your time, make social, talk to others and learn more....some good connections I've made down there over the years....

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking for advice:
Thanks in advance

There are a lot factors that go into that,
Where are you, (Laredo or Detroit)
What kind of week have you had, ( no loads or running like a dog)
Are you getting calls with load offers, ( or are you checking to see phone works)
What day of the week is it ( Thursday, or Sunday)
Have you been there before, but the most important, What does your gut tell you?
As my best friend tells me all the time " think long think wrong"
Sorry I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but their is no one size fits all template for this business

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
whole lotta "crazy" people take .50 to leave laredo or other dead spots...elsewise, they can not get anything any better...not with the people they are working for or with...crazy, juse sayin.
Very true.

It's going to take some years of business experience under the belt before an expeditor can gain the talent and business savvy to be able to sustain years to come...like most of our senior members here. They are just plain savvy. That's why they are still here:)

It is sad to see newbies come in unprepared, struggling and only to leave after a few months.

For many vanners, I believe six figures gross is still attainable as many have done in the past.

I'm working on my savviness.....lol.

Reactions: schwanman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looking for advice:
Thanks in advance
It can vary greatly. The other day I waited a day and a half. I've also been predispatched with a load waiting for me as soon as I delivered. I've also waited a week or more. I think 10 days is the longest I've waited. You can sit down there for a week and get a load going to Michigan and that's not a bad week. You can deliver down there, get some sleep, and then head to Memphis, sit there for 2 days, then get a load going to Nashville, and end up with a really crappy week.