Anyone know the name of these companies running penske cube vans?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, if you need 1 million dollars of trucking automotive liability insurance and you only buy $25,000 then yes that is under insured. If you get a cheap policy from a company that does not write trucking and thus will deny payment as a non covered event then you really dont have insurance at all in my book.

sorry if I chuckle a little John...."really don't"? I'd say they just plain old don't have any period...
its hard to believe a larger type carrier would expose themselves to that risk...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I.... like you, pay my share of gold to CIS as well....

I am just doing a bit of investigative work here....why 1 carrier thinks they are correct and then they state 3-5 of the top carriers are not complaint but have been in this business twice even 3 times longer then another one...

I am not saying they "think" they are correct. If you want to simply look at the surface document and turn a blind eye in the name of profit..... Correct and choosing to not look are two different things all together.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Rates have continued to climb...but from what I read and follow that is mostly due in part to two areas. 1 being the size of awards in the judicial system that have skyrocketed. 2 the insurance industry used to make money on investments and interest more than on insurance believe it or not. Well with interest rates so low, that part has really dried up.
You've just made an unimpeachable and irrefutable case for the raising of line haul rates.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
sorry if I chuckle a little John...."really don't"? I'd say they just plain old don't have any period...
its hard to believe a larger type carrier would expose themselves to that risk...

It isnt hard to fake it being a multi. The carrier does not have visibility to the insurance covering the vehicles. They have one cert covering half the time one or two vehicles....so easy to say...Ok look I have a cert they are covered even if they know that policy is not the true insurance covering the vehicles running the freight. I think I have explained this maybe once or twice or like 200 posts if you search me. I could do the same thing. We don't and a number of the other mid size carriers took the same stance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It isnt hard to fake it being a multi. The carrier does not have visibility to the insurance covering the vehicles. They have one cert covering half the time one or two vehicles....so easy to say...Ok look I have a cert they are covered even if they know that policy is not the true insurance covering the vehicles running the freight. I think I have explained this maybe once or twice or like 200 posts if you search me. I could do the same thing. We don't and a number of the other mid size carriers took the same stance.
and if the other 3-5 other large carriers complied....IMO that would just inspire even more O/O's to go rogue/on thier own and forsake the bigger carriers with expensive insurance?....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
John's new tag line should be The Properly Insured Carrier.

Decals on his truck may spark a conversation with the right people.

A friend of mine and his Congressman approached the Mi DOT about changing a silly law that was hampering his business.

The DOT response is we've wondered why nobody has addressed this earlier (a weird regulation regarding Oversize shipments.)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
and if the other 3-5 other large carriers complied....IMO that would just inspire even more O/O's to go rogue/on thier own and forsake the bigger carriers with expensive insurance?....

Not really. If you don't feed improperly insured carriers and help keep their trucks rolling they either go bust or decide that if they are going to be in the industry they need to step up and be compliant. I would hope more would step up, but yes I am sure some will go more rogue. Ok, I am getting back to work. I am not even sure why I feel the need to keep trying to educate and reinforcing something that should concern way more people on this board than it does.

Reactions: Grizzly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really. If you don't feed improperly insured carriers and help keep their trucks rolling they either go bust or decide that if they are going to be in the industry they need to step up and be compliant. I would hope more would step up, but yes I am sure some will go more rogue. Ok, I am getting back to work. I am not even sure why I feel the need to keep trying to educate and reinforcing something that should concern way more people on this board than it does.
hey ya got me and Crossroads on board....its not a waste of time....keep on educating buddy....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is the best line I've read in awhile .....
Knockoff of what everyone thinks of as the knockoff ...
the direction this industry is going I can see large carriers becoming more or less extinct..with 3pls, 4 pls and brokers taking over....there just isn't the margins of profits to support the O/O and a carrier too....

Reactions: ajakapari

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
6821e0da26e476d7d4005ddba135d28d.jpg

Reading some news....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
I went from having read a post on page two to posts on page seven the next day. I did not bother to read too much between because the posts have went so far from the original post with all kinds of non-sense between.

To keep you informed a little, some members of TEANA (The Expedite Association of North America) have been attempting to get some of the issues with what we will call "Cube Vans" addressed. We all know that most of these cube vans are GVW'd under 10,000 pounds by the manufacturers so they can be operated not subject to most DOT regulations, including Hours of Service. Most of these vans are manufactured to be used "commercially" by industries outside of trucking - like florists, bakeries, or as "rental" units. When Expediters began to purchase the units their intention was to increase load capacity by volume. Then folks wanted to have their cake and eat it too - walking both sides of the 10,000 mark to whichever side suited their immediate need (having to keep logs or having extra load capacity by weight) to their advantage. Now we see small companies utilizing these vehicle as 90% plus of their fleet - operating under the FMCSA and DOT radar. These same carriers may be operating with "multi's" - O/O's that operate for multiple carriers, may not display signage, and may or may not have the correct insurance. The TEANA member carriers will continue to attempt to address this (cube van) issue as best and quickly as we can but at the present time there are so many significant mandated, pending and proposed rulemakings that are keeping us busy.

All Expedite carriers and drivers have a dog in this fight. We all need to work together on these issues as well as just the day to day things of running all of our businesses. Seems like lately everyone is pitting themselves against each other. Drivers support other drivers and your Carrier. Carriers continue to support your drivers and our industry.

Thanks for all YOU do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went from having read a post on page two to posts on page seven the next day. I did not bother to read too much between because the posts have went so far from the original post with all kinds of non-sense between.

To keep you informed a little, some members of TEANA (The Expedite Association of North America) have been attempting to get some of the issues with what we will call "Cube Vans" addressed. We all know that most of these cube vans are GVW'd under 10,000 pounds by the manufacturers so they can be operated not subject to most DOT regulations, including Hours of Service. Most of these vans are manufactured to be used "commercially" by industries outside of trucking - like florists, bakeries, or as "rental" units. When Expediters began to purchase the units their intention was to increase load capacity by volume. Then folks wanted to have their cake and eat it too - walking both sides of the 10,000 mark to whichever side suited their immediate need (having to keep logs or having extra load capacity by weight) to their advantage. Now we see small companies utilizing these vehicle as 90% plus of their fleet - operating under the FMCSA and DOT radar. These same carriers may be operating with "multi's" - O/O's that operate for multiple carriers, may not display signage, and may or may not have the correct insurance. The TEANA member carriers will continue to attempt to address this (cube van) issue as best and quickly as we can but at the present time there are so many significant mandated, pending and proposed rulemakings that are keeping us busy.

All Expedite carriers and drivers have a dog in this fight. We all need to work together on these issues as well as just the day to day things of running all of our businesses. Seems like lately everyone is pitting themselves against each other. Drivers support other drivers and your Carrier. Carriers continue to support your drivers and our industry.

Thanks for all YOU do.

You are a heck of a nice guy John and I believe you believe in what you say but....all while PTL is in the middle of redoing contracts for a .05 rate reduction in the CV market....thats some support right there....is your staff taking a rate cut across the board, as well?.....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a small operation, cutting pay for the office would often cost you more than you save.

Can you afford to let staff move to another carrier ?
They actually need a raise just to deal daily with the soon to be grumpier drivers.