Anyone know the name of these companies running penske cube vans?

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
FlyingVan said it all in one sentence. "They run over 10K and without proper insurance". Why it matters as to the "Penske cube vans" is that with my several years of experience out here, these van types have been the predominant vehicle used to do this, based on what I have seen. A foreigner comes here, starts a brokerage, buys fleets of these cube vans, puts other foreigners in them and pays them .30 cpm. They are buying these cube vans because they can compete with a straight truck without the cost of a straight truck, then they are forging the insurance polices, taking one policy on one van and forging copies to 20 vans, for example. So these vans and drivers are competing with straight trucks and class C and B vans and D units without the overhead cost of doing it legally. I have heard more than once of these cube vans being loaded so heavily that the rear axle breaks or the transmission goes out and the load has to be rescued. This has a large impact on those of us doing it right, at any company. I have spoken with the DOT about this and have established a contact. They want to know more so they can target these vehicles and companies. So, take a picture, or ask them who they work for when you can. And post it or send me a message or contact the DOT. I heard a rumor of a recent bust where it was found 1 insurance policy was forged to about 100 of these cube vans.

Reactions: Moot and ShellyB007

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FlyingVan said it all in one sentence. "They run over 10K and without proper insurance". Why it matters as to the "Penske cube vans" is that with my several years of experience out here, these van types have been the predominant vehicle used to do this, based on what I have seen. A foreigner comes here, starts a brokerage, buys fleets of these cube vans, puts other foreigners in them and pays them .30 cpm. They are buying these cube vans because they can compete with a straight truck without the cost of a straight truck, then they are forging the insurance polices, taking one policy on one van and forging copies to 20 vans, for example. So these vans and drivers are competing with straight trucks and class C and B vans and D units without the overhead cost of doing it legally. I have heard more than once of these cube vans being loaded so heavily that the rear axle breaks or the transmission goes out and the load has to be rescued. This has a large impact on those of us doing it right, at any company. I have spoken with the DOT about this and have established a contact. They want to know more so they can target these vehicles and companies. So, take a picture, or ask them who they work for when you can. And post it or send me a message or contact the DOT. I heard a rumor of a recent bust where it was found 1 insurance policy was forged to about 100 of these cube vans.

anything over 3,000 lbs they can have and run silly....they are not competing with me...let OOIDA get on this issue as it pertains more to the over 10,000 crowd for the most part...according to you...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard when they breakdown they call each other for the rescue...that way they don't need to have a broker bond...and they keep the load....

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because some of these yellow cube vans run over 10k without logs, and some of them without proper insurance.
Maybe some don't have even an MC#... I met once a guy that was working directly with brokers, claiming that since he is under 10K lbs, he doesn't need any authority as long as he has insurance that covers all, including the freight...

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
anything over 3,000 lbs they can have and run silly....they are not competing with me...let OOIDA get on this issue as it pertains more to the over 10,000 crowd for the most part...according to you...

But does affect you also, on my last trip to Laredo ran into a gentleman running a Dodge cargo van. He had 1 skid that I would guess weight around 500 pounds. He was more then happy with his .25 cents that he was payed to bring it from Chicago.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 yellow penske cube van companies i see alot out here and just talked to a driver from 1 last weekend in Lincoln, Al. who brang 8 skids 4700 lbs. from Laredo to Al.. he was just a paid driver who said he didn't care when i showed him the door sticker showing him the weight issue ...
1 company from Chicago area (Midwest location )...
2nd Company from Louisville area (Grounded Ponies )
Chicago 1 ... has a est. 12" × 24" sticker signs ...
Louisville 1 has big painted on signs on box ...
Both companies use 14' and 16' boxes with dual wheels ... its not like they even try to hide from authorities when loaded .. i really don't think they give a Krap .....;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll get right on that as soon as I finish turning in my high school homework
That's fine. But when you use words like "many" and "plenty" without even being able to come up with a number for them, they're meaningless, and when you use those words to make claims, the claims are equally meaningless.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
anything over 3,000 lbs they can have and run silly....they are not competing with me
As others have said, on those particular loads they aren't competing with you, but they are on all other loads. When they have a GVWR of greater than 10,000 pounds and do not log and scale and are skirting insurance regulations, they are competing with you unfairly for cargo van loads of less than 3000 pounds.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ummm.....they are competing against you. Even more so with 4k in the box. Many or most of the 4k loads are called in wanting a dock high truck. Those little yellow trucks are in quite a few cases taking two van shipments and throwing them on the same truck. Real popular with the border towns.

Reactions: Turtle

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll get right on that as soon as I finish turning in my high school homework
That's fine. But when you use words like "many" and "plenty" without even being able to come up with a number for them, they're meaningless, and when you use those words to make claims, the claims are equally meaningless.

Looking for that bag of microwave popcorn ...;)
while reading up on Penske cube vans running over weight verses White vans or Sprinters running over weight ....:D and lets throw in under-insured into the mix as well ....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you show me in the terms of service where those words undefined are not to be used.

Sometimes you just think so much it leads down empty paths.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I can cut and paste about 200 postings on the topic....even back when people weren't concerned about it or didn't think it would have an effect on the industry.....

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
The cube van is used the most by these companies and drivers because it is more effective at handling overweight loads than a sprinter or cargo van. It also has more space. And the cube van is far cheaper to buy and maintain than a sprinter.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you show me in the terms of service where those words undefined are not to be used.

Sometimes you just think so much it leads down empty paths.
Make sure it has "plenty" of kernels in it, so it pops up nice and full.

Lol....yes i agree ... because you know there is an 8 paragraph statement awaiting You ..... and i don't want to run out of popcorn while reading it .... even though brain cells will die trying to interpet what the point of it is .... remember Expediter lives do matter..... :p

Reactions: BIGTRAIN and xiggi

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
Additionally, when I start a thread, it would be great if it could stay on topic. Those of you whom want to act like 6th graders in a farting contest should send each other private messages. Or turn to channel 17 on the cb.