anyone getting loads?

ditchwitch55

Seasoned Expediter
I drive for Bolt Express and wonder if anyone is having problems getting loads. I have been stuck in Toledo since 12-15 and have 1 load on 12-30(100 mi) and nothing since. I've been 1st out for almost a week now and nothing. Are all of the expediting companies this slow? Just wondering if its us or everyone. Any info would really help. thanks, chris B265

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah I am with Panther and the trucks in OH and MI have not moved since before Christmas. They got a few 180 mile load offers but they figured they would have to leave home and blow it all on food and fuel just sitting in a truck stop for a week.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to Bolt. If you are sitting in toledo, you are 1 of about 10-12 vans within 50 miles right now. I have had 2 runs since Monday, no big deal both were short under 300 miles, but both paid good. I ;eft toledo yesterday and headed south on a empty move on my own, (no paid move, I never take their paid moves, i move on my own) to an area where there were no vans sitting.

Now I didn't get anything yesterday, but it has been going like every other day so if that holds, (and it might not) I should get something today, if not i'll wait it out down here.

I see that this is your 1st post here, if you are going to sit in toledo and wait it out, (i'd move) start reading the post here going back and see what its about here. You will find alot of good info from alot of great people that will share, the good the bad and the ugly......

PS: You might want to CALL dispatch and ask rene or steph where to move to to get a better chance of getting a load.

Again, as Dan said, Welcome to Bolt...

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
Slow here too.. not a van- we are a team straight truck. Right now in Los Angelas, Ca- good miles getting here, but offers leaving have been all been to Washington, or BC, not going to go there! We will wait it out and see. But loads are not booming, slow everywhere.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I am with Panther and the week of Christmas wasn't bad. Had 2100 miles. Been sittin ever since the 28th of December with no load. I am the only van within a 100 mile radius. and I'm going to be driving north tomorrow in search of a better opportunity. yep like everyone else said.....just slow everywhere. My friend drives a semi for West Side Transport. which usually gives there drivers a lot of miles and he's only been gettin between 1 to 2000 per week.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
since xmas 5 loads and 1 paid deadhead.

that lead to one run. then dh back to indy an p-u' ed a mini and enroute got their load for another mini for today. 1239 and sitting in the j in princeton/haubstedt/evansville in.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to Bolt Express. Consider that we are just coming out of the holidays, it is January (traditionally a slower time of year), and the economic situation ain't the greatest right now. Also consider that Load Planning has loads to cover, and customers to satisfy (Bolt is YOUR customer, BTW) - and that turning down loads in times like these might not be in your, or anyone's, best interest (except may be the competition's) One is thing for sure - you never know what is on the end of any given load. For me, on my last load, it was another run (706 miles loaded, with only 26 miles of deadhead to go get it)

What chef dennis said (find out where Load Planning is seeing the freight coming out, then go there) - generally speaking, I make it a point to find out where everyone isn't, and then go there.

Having said the above, I've had 4 runs so far this week - although the one earlier today went dry run - which is fine, because I got paid more (per mile) than if I had actually ran it, and I'm sitting in a decent area. Right now, I'm sitting at 1322 loaded and 112 deadhead for the week - not too bad for a Thursday in January. :D

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hey Jack - FYI, last time I was there they got me one out of Henderson going down to AL - so freight does come out of there.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
RELENT us right on, if you or anyone is turning profitable loads down no matter what the distance, you aren't doing yourself any favors. That short 100 run might have a 1100 trip to lareado on the other end of it, you never know.

We all need "X" to move our trucks, but if "X" is met and maybe by only a marginable amount , right now it not the time to be turning them down.

When i call dispatch, I also am looking for the cities where others AREN'T, and as RELENT said, thats where I am heading....

You can sit and wait, or you can be pro active and do what it takes to make yourself profitable.. !0 vans ahead of me in any area is 9 too many no matter how business is...i am looking for another area to DH to, on my own buck....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I don't know much about this business, but, i'd bet that in this environment, those of you that have a large number of didn't wannas in your trick bag - they are now comming to roost.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You can sit and wait, or you can be pro active and do what it takes to make yourself profitable.. !0 vans ahead of me in any area is 9 too many no matter how business is...i am looking for another area to DH to, on my own buck....

If Bolt Express and other companies like Panther did not have a van parked on every street corner you wouldn't have to drive all over the map just to find a load. The market is saturated with vans which causes unnecessary deadheading that does eat into ones bottom line. I don't know about people like Chefdennis who have money and other businesses or retirement checks coming in (maybe this is a viable option for them) but for people like me who are out here trying to make a living, it is hard to just drive all over hells creation. That is when you factor in the rates that you are bing paid (especially the rates that bolt pays) the typical 70 cents per mile. How do any of you guys make money? At least tristate is still paying a near 30 cent a mile fuel surcharge on top of 80 cents per mile and does have a lot of work with Caterpillar and John Deere. But to deadhead all over hells creation on 70 cents per loaded mile just to find another load is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdwinDavis

Seasoned Expediter
I Drive for Bolt Express This is my first time making a reply. I have been sitting in Tenn. for over 2 weeks.One good thing is i am at home. But no money being made sitting at home. Hey Chef how you doing I was in your orentaion class my van # is B443

God bless everyone in the Expediting world

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I Drive for Bolt Express This is my first time making a reply. I have been sitting in Tenn. for over 2 weeks.One good thing is i am at home. But no money being made sitting at home. Hey Chef how you doing I was in your orentaion class my van # is B443

God bless everyone in the Expediting world

I just want to make it very clear that I have nothing against the Cheff or Bolt. I am just saying that our companies need to step up to the plate and broker us some better rates and stop hiring on too many vehicles. Don't tell me this can't ne done either! Because it can and it should be done! I worked for 65-81 cents per mile for 7 months and you can make some money at those rates if your van is paid off and if you have minimal deadhead. Also, there is generally a lot of doubling up "double dipping" going on when you are moving freight off the NLM or Alliance board for 65 cents a mile. So, in essence, you have to work twice as hard to meet two pickup and delivery times in order to make a reasonable rate on the run. Yet even with the double dipping factor it is very difficult to turn a profit at reduced rates; even if you are a seasoned expediter. However, I do understand that some companies want to keep their drivers busy. But there has to be at least some sort of minimum standard out there, and that is going to have to be worked out by the warring companies. J.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, if you're in an area with about 20 vans sitting around, that deadhead is sometimes your only decent option. If you want anything for an ok rate, you have to get away from the competition.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Well, if you're in an area with about 20 vans sitting around, that deadhead is sometimes your only decent option. If you want anything for an ok rate, you have to get away from the competition.

Very true, but if your close to the top why leave? I've had a truck number one and two for the past week. Same with up north in Detroit where he keeps getting bumped down by first outs. You would think they would do at least a few loads out of detroit and being number three or four would not be a problem. If he was number 12 or something like that yeah move.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'd say it shouldn't take that long to figgure out that being one or two ain't gett'in it. Might consider getting one o them first outs or sumpin. Or, is a mini not in your drivers vocabulary.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Col wrote:

Or, is a mini not in your drivers vocabulary.

That is as big an issue here as slow freight. Yes we all understand that this is a normally slow time of the year in th9s businessand it has been made worse with all of the auto plants being shutdown, but the fact is there is freight.

Yes there are alot of vans with most all of the bigger companies, and when freight is slow, the pie gets sliced thinner because of the # of vans sitting, we all knew that when we started with whatever company you are with. If all of a sudden it is and issue, why wasn't it an issue when we went with the companies we did??

I am not going back through the old post, but ill bett that you can go back for as many years as this board has been here and each year, this same type of post has been put up.....

As Col was inferring, "TAKE THE RUNS THAT ARE OFFERED AS LONG AS THEY ARE PROFITABLE. Oh and as for running for .70-.71 cents a mile with bolt, I haven't had one of those in months....I guess its the"newbie juice!" They are still feeding me to keep me happy.

I don't work for Bolt, they find the freight I haul. If I wasn't happy with what they were paying me, I'd be looking for another company to haul for, no matter what my financially position in life is, if I ain't with happy with whatever issue i might have, its time to move on down the road, no matter what you do for a living...... It is simple to compare what another company is paying compared to another and if the grass is greener......................

By the way, if Bolt is paying so low, and their drivers are sitting on every corner and not moving, are you saying the company is keeping more money from each run and are just paying the drivers cheap? Or are they bidding lower to get freight? And if they are bidding so low that they aren't paying a amount that drivers are happy with, why are their drivers sitting all over and not running??

Personally, I am with RELENT and COL, people are turning short runs down and ............ this is a normally slow time in this business that has been made worse by the auto shutdowns

Go on vacation............

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am just saying that our companies need to step up to the plate and broker us some better rates and stop hiring on too many vehicles. Don't tell me this can't ne done either! Because it can and it should be done!
The carriers have no reason "to step up to the plate and broker us some better rates" as long as there is a van on every corner.

It is advantageous for a carrier to have a surplus of leased vehicles. All the better to service the customer. It costs them nothing and often they can make a few bucks from Q.C. and other fees.

I worked for 65-81 cents per mile for 7 months and you can make some money at those rates if your van is paid off and if you have minimal deadhead.
See, there is always someone willing to run at those rates!

However, I do understand that some companies want to keep their drivers busy. But there has to be at least some sort of minimum standard out there, and that is going to have to be worked out by the warring companies. J.
Blizz, you're thinking like an employee. Anyway, as long as there is a steady supply of drivers willing to run for the sake of racking up the miles....

You would do well my friend to read the teachings of Nafeesa Syeed and others.