Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'd previously mentioned using Permatex Right Stuff RTV when doing an oil cooler reseal.

Idk, the Hino red rtv works pretty darn well. I think I'd picked up a tube that had been compromised and it didn't work worth a damn, but recently I grabbed a tube and it was perfect. Right Stuff doesn't initially stick to metal well, youve got to smoosh it all over to make it stick. Hino red and black easily flow and readily sticks to everything.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok. So tell us. How bad is the new member truck? Is he spending the weekend? BTW just got another oil analysis back everything is normal.... 747K and climbing

:JC_ThankYou:

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
What causes this issue? Also, if I clear it once the 20e8 code goes away and no more malfunction. Happens only after the truck warms up, after its cleared and driven nothing, tank sensor recently replaced.
P20e8
Def Pressure too low

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What causes this issue? Also, if I clear it once the 20e8 code goes away and no more malfunction. Happens only after the truck warms up, after its cleared and driven nothing, tank sensor recently replaced.
P20e8
Def Pressure too low
Did your whole post make it on here? Whats the symptoms?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Def pressure too low is the symptom, I've been in the truck since the last post, and after I cleared it it hasn't come back on.

Oh boy.

Usually, def pressure codes are caused by air leaks or crap in the system.

If it's air, you have to find the source. The DEF pump pulls def from the tank, pressurizes it, and maintains a certain pressure by bleeding it back to the tank. If the tank pickup line is leaking air at a connector, it'll set a low pressure code. Any external line leaks could cause this, but it would be obvious where DEF is leaking. If the injector gets stuck open, it'll spray unmetered DEF into the SCR until it codes and causes an SCR malfunction.

The easy stuff: Put a DEF filter in it, and torque the filter cap. 23 Nm, I think. If the cap is loose, it'll pull air. Dirty filter will cause a restriction.

Do you have DX or DXII? The rest is accomplished with clear tubing and the leak test functions under the DCU diagnostic menus. Run the leak test. 850-950 kpa is good. If not, remove suction line between pickup and pump. Push clear tubing onto pump connector, and put the other end into a container of DEF. See if pressure is still low. If it is not, put the tube onto the tank pickup. There should be no leaks. If pressure still low, replace def filter. If still low, remove and replace suction fitting on DEF pump. If that fixes it, there is crap in the system. Take it all apart and flush every line and clean the tank. If that didn't fix it, remove DEF injector from the back of the DOC but leave everything attached to it. Run leak test. If pressure still low and the injector doesn't leak, it's the pump.

95% of the time it's NOT the pump, It's almost always crap or an air leak. Or the tank gets religiously overfilled and the overflow tube gets clogged with crystallized DEF and a cold truck has the tank under a vacuum. (This is another free thing you can check.) Because you had a line loose and now there's a problem, I'd very carefully inspect the lines you previously removed for damage to the sealing rings inside.

Last edited:

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
Oh boy.

Usually, def pressure codes are caused by air leaks or crap in the system.

If it's air, you have to find the source. The DEF pump pulls def from the tank, pressurizes it, and maintains a certain pressure by bleeding it back to the tank. If the tank pickup line is leaking air at a connector, it'll set a low pressure code. Any external line leaks could cause this, but it would be obvious where DEF is leaking. If the injector gets stuck open, it'll spray unmetered DEF into the SCR until it codes and causes an SCR malfunction.

The easy stuff: Put a DEF filter in it, and torque the filter cap. 23 Nm, I think. If the cap is loose, it'll pull air. Dirty filter will cause a restriction.

Do you have DX or DXII? The rest is accomplished with clear tubing and the leak test functions under the DCU diagnostic menus. Run the leak test. 850-950 kpa is good. If not, remove suction line between pickup and pump. Push clear tubing onto pump connector, and put the other end into a container of DEF. See if pressure is still low. If it is not, put the tube onto the tank pickup. There should be no leaks. If pressure still low, replace def filter. If still low, remove and replace suction fitting on DEF pump. If that fixes it, there is crap in the system. Take it all apart and flush every line and clean the tank. If that didn't fix it, remove DEF injector from the back of the DOC but leave everything attached to it. Run leak test. If pressure still low and the injector doesn't leak, it's the pump.

95% of the time it's NOT the pump, It's almost always crap or an air leak. Or the tank gets religiously overfilled and the overflow tube gets clogged with crystallized DEF and a cold truck has the tank under a vacuum. (This is another free thing you can check.) Because you had a line loose and now there's a problem, I'd very carefully inspect the lines you previously removed for damage to the sealing rings inside.

I'll check all the connections in the morning, only replaced the tank sensor, so maybe one of the hoses isn't on right, it's been good for the past 2-3 weeks since I replaced the sensor, how often should the def filter be replaced?

I have dx but the connector box from the truck to the computer is damaged, looking for one that's reliable.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Morning GreasyT

If you see this soon, what would cause the exhaust brake on a Hino 185 to get stuck on? I'm looking at a truck right now that will go on the block in about half an hour. Each time the truck is started the brake is stuck on and makes a whining noise. It goes out when you move the truck, but it doesn't seem like it should do that. Kinda makes me shy away from it, but I'd still like to know what it might be. Its a 2010 with 52,000 miles and the maintenance is dubious.

Let me know what you think if you get a chance.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Its in "white smoke reduction mode" because of high idle time. The wooshing might be normal but is often broken exhaust manifold studs causing an exhaust leak.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks very much. I appreciate the quick reply. How would you get it out of white smoke reduction mode? You've already enlightened me on the exhaust manifold situation in a previous post. Thanks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks very much. I appreciate the quick reply. How would you get it out of white smoke reduction mode? You've already enlightened me on the exhaust manifold situation in a previous post. Thanks.
Just drive it for a while. If it idles for 15 min, itll start doing it again. Its normal.

denversnowmobiler

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
greasytshirt

I have an 08 hino 338 that had a head gasket done at 425k . Since its return my employee has put 5k on it and has failed to tell me that the DPR has been at 10 bars. As soon as I drove it and felt the power loss I pulled it out of service. The re-gen light will not come on to allow me to start the re-gen, is there a way to force this? or what is my next step?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
greasytshirt

I have an 08 hino 338 that had a head gasket done at 425k . Since its return my employee has put 5k on it and has failed to tell me that the DPR has been at 10 bars. As soon as I drove it and felt the power loss I pulled it out of service. The re-gen light will not come on to allow me to start the re-gen, is there a way to force this? or what is my next step?
If there's soot in the exhaust, the dpr is already wasted.

DX software is needed to see soot amount. After a certain amount, the truck cant safely regen it. It would have to be baked.

The truck will not regen until the software is used to reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.