Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

05_308

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hello greasytshirt, I've been lurking this thread for quite awhile... I have a '05 308 Automatic with 258K KM. Recently, I have found out that the transmission dipstick tube is broken. Is this a common problem? Also is there a fuel system bleeder for the Davco style fuel filter I've never seen one on this truck.

What are the common problems of these trucks.

Thanks for your time.

funkychicken

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hey Greasyshirt , posted last week my concerns with cold misfire and excessive cold rattle. We took the truck to dealer yesterday to get oil analysis , scv test and dx report . They didn't email the test results to me like requested but sent them to hino techassist . I did get a copy of the troubleshooting report and techassist's response .I was surprised to see there was a couple trouble codes since there isn't an indicator light on .Can I email or fax you the results

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey Greasyshirt , posted last week my concerns with cold misfire and excessive cold rattle. We took the truck to dealer yesterday to get oil analysis , scv test and dx report . They didn't email the test results to me like requested but sent them to hino techassist . I did get a copy of the troubleshooting report and techassist's response .I was surprised to see there was a couple trouble codes since there isn't an indicator light on .Can I email or fax you the results
Ill pm you my email.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello greasytshirt, I've been lurking this thread for quite awhile... I have a '05 308 Automatic with 258K KM. Recently, I have found out that the transmission dipstick tube is broken. Is this a common problem? Also is there a fuel system bleeder for the Davco style fuel filter I've never seen one on this truck.

Thanks for your time.
Canada, correct?

If any hardware was missing on the tube bracket, it will break. They can rust too. When you replace it, make sure all bolts on everything nearby are installed.

There is no bleeder. Fill new filter, crank until it starts. Never pressurize fuel tank to help prime, it'll blow the seal out of the pump.

Older injectors were failure prone. Debris in fuel system causes low pressure codes and limp mode, sometimes hard to diagnose. External head gasket and oil cooler leaks. Vnt controllers on turbo fail, not available separately.

Read the whole thread. The most common problems are covered ad nauseam.

05_308

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to post a picture later today when I have everything back together. If this Allison dealer has the part. Might check Hino as well. They're pretty close together but Allison will be cheaper.

One of the top brackets have broken off. I guess with all that extra vibration it broke it off somewhere down the middle. Is it easier if I pull the wheel off? Seems pretty tight in there. No rust though. Weather is similar to Seattle, WA but a little bit colder +/- 10F.

Filling the filter is what I was doing before. I guess I'll continue to do that.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I've never replaced a fill tube. It's been recommended, but no one has agreed.

Other stuff: the hoods break near the hinges. Badly. Have a boat shop or something fix it before the hinge rips completely out. Replace the hood prop rod thing if its missing or ineffective. The hood should never be allowed to fall open.

On some 05 six cyl trucks, there's been a few examples of the bolt holding the compressor drive gear (behind compressor, on adapter plate) backing out and causing mayhem. Make sure air dryer purge valve operates correctly, and that system air pressure isn't set too high. If a rattle develops behind compressor, stop immediately, have it towed, have adapter plate, bolt, and gear replaced. All of these parts have been updated. Other years had this problem too, but 05 was the worst.

05_308

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Ordered the part from Hino. Allison doesn't have that style of dipstick as its installed by Hino. Part was $220 Canadian.

My truck has hydraulic brakes. No need to deal with the air dryer issues. My '08 Kenworth T370 however has a Bendix AD-IP. Thoughts on those?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Ordered the part from Hino. Allison doesn't have that style of dipstick as its installed by Hino. Part was $220 Canadian.

My truck has hydraulic brakes. No need to deal with the air dryer issues. My '08 Kenworth T370 however has a Bendix AD-IP. Thoughts on those?
The air dryer purge valve should pop, then release a decreasing amount of air for up to 30 seconds. If it does this, the purge cycle is working correctly. The desiccant filter should be replaced periodically, especially in cold climates, as the air systems will freeze if much moisture is present. Idk what Kenworth recommends, but doing this annually just before it gets consistently cold seems like a good idea to me.

05_308

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
That's exactly what it does. I've been changing it every year. It's kind of like a rainforest environment here so I'm guess it's the best for the air driver. When I drain my tanks there's no sign of water coming out so I guess it's been working.

Reactions: greasytshirt

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Thanks for your time.

For a real life example, Tobster317 has a 2007 338 with a sleeper grafted to the cab. 750k, original engine, trans, turbo, injectors. Recently replaced the head gaskets and injector cups. Turbo has some wear but no problems yet.

Reactions: scottm4211

BaldEagleTowing

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Hello greasytshirt,

After reading all 74 pages of this thread I have come to the conclusion you know WAY more than I thought I did about Hinos. If you're ever in Florida and need a job let me know! :) But anyways I'm a fleet manager for a small fleet of 10 Hino 258s. 9 of them are 2007s and 1 of them is a 2008. I have had just about every problem you have mentioned in this thread and have come up with solutions similar to yours. Until today I had a 2007 258 come in to the shop with more oil on the engine dipstick than it had yesterday. I have had a faulty fuel line going to the injector leak before on other trucks but this time I can't "see" the leak. I took off the valve cover and still cannot tell which injector is leaking (which is my guess). My question to you would be how can I pressurize these injectors and check for leaks? Can I run the leak check with the valve cover off? I have the hino diagnostic explorer software and bowie box. Do you have another method to check for fuel leaks inside the engine? Is it the injection pump leaking somewhere!??

Again thanks for all your valuable information,
you should get paid for this!
And if I need to pay you please let me know I will.

Thanks!

Carlos Rodriguez
239-403-0000

Don_vincentio

Seasoned Expediter
Reductant Tank sensor circuit high, negative cables all clean and just replaced some connectors, thinking it might be the sensor what do you think?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello greasytshirt,

After reading all 74 pages of this thread I have come to the conclusion you know WAY more than I thought I did about Hinos. If you're ever in Florida and need a job let me know! :) But anyways I'm a fleet manager for a small fleet of 10 Hino 258s. 9 of them are 2007s and 1 of them is a 2008. I have had just about every problem you have mentioned in this thread and have come up with solutions similar to yours. Until today I had a 2007 258 come in to the shop with more oil on the engine dipstick than it had yesterday. I have had a faulty fuel line going to the injector leak before on other trucks but this time I can't "see" the leak. I took off the valve cover and still cannot tell which injector is leaking (which is my guess). My question to you would be how can I pressurize these injectors and check for leaks? Can I run the leak check with the valve cover off? I have the hino diagnostic explorer software and bowie box. Do you have another method to check for fuel leaks inside the engine? Is it the injection pump leaking somewhere!??

Again thanks for all your valuable information,
you should get paid for this!
And if I need to pay you please let me know I will.

Thanks!

Carlos Rodriguez
239-403-0000
Excellent questions!
upload_2016-3-30_20-38-18.png

Find this short line on the engine. It's the fuel return from the injectors. You're gonna want to root through your magic bolt bin and find a piece of an old return line. Connect one end to the rocker box (the horizontal bolt), and the other to a regulated air supply. 30-40 psi max. With the valve cover off, squirt oil over all of the banjo bolts and at each seam at the line. You should see bubbles if it's leaking. Frankly, the fuel return line under the valve cover, the special banjo bolt, and the sealing washers should NEVER be reused. That one banjo bolt is a one time use thing. And the torque on all of the banjo bolts, including the special one, is only 110-115 inch-pounds. If anything is leaking, replace the line, the special banjo bolt, and all of the seal washers. The injector banjo bolts can be reused.

If the fuel tank had ever been pressurized to help prime the fuel system, there's a possibility that the shaft seal on the injection pump has blown out. It is not serviced separately. You'll need a replacement pump.

Another method is to get a big bottle of UV dye and dump it in the fuel tank, then run the engine while looking at everything with an ultraviolet light and yellow glasses. I've used this method to find fuel leaks in crossover lines in 6V53 Detroits in the M113A2 APC.

If either of these methods yield results, I'll reveal my paypal email. Donations are accepted, but not required.

Edit: Where abouts in FL? There's one fella on here that's had a hell of a time with his Hino, I talked him through a lot of it. If you two are sort of nearby, I think he'd definitely appreciate someone with experience being in his corner.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Reductant Tank sensor circuit high, negative cables all clean and just replaced some connectors, thinking it might be the sensor what do you think?
That thing does fail occasionally. I know a couple of recent updates have been done to a few of them, so they must have found and fixed a flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.