Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaldEagleTowing

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Excellent questions!
View attachment 13512

Find this short line on the engine. It's the fuel return from the injectors. You're gonna want to root through your magic bolt bin and find a piece of an old return line. Connect one end to the rocker box (the horizontal bolt), and the other to a regulated air supply. 30-40 psi max. With the valve cover off, squirt oil over all of the banjo bolts and at each seam at the line. You should see bubbles if it's leaking. Frankly, the fuel return line under the valve cover, the special banjo bolt, and the sealing washers should NEVER be reused. That one banjo bolt is a one time use thing. And the torque on all of the banjo bolts, including the special one, is only 110-115 inch-pounds. If anything is leaking, replace the line, the special banjo bolt, and all of the seal washers. The injector banjo bolts can be reused.

If the fuel tank had ever been pressurized to help prime the fuel system, there's a possibility that the shaft seal on the injection pump has blown out. It is not serviced separately. You'll need a replacement pump.

Another method is to get a big bottle of UV dye and dump it in the fuel tank, then run the engine while looking at everything with an ultraviolet light and yellow glasses. I've used this method to find fuel leaks in crossover lines in 6V53 Detroits in the M113A2 APC.

If either of these methods yield results, I'll reveal my paypal email. Donations are accepted, but not required.

Edit: Where abouts in FL? There's one fella on here that's had a hell of a time with his Hino, I talked him through a lot of it. If you two are sort of nearby, I think he'd definitely appreciate someone with experience being in his corner.

Thank you for valuable suggestions. I just got to the shop and hopefully I will find this leak today. I'm down here in sunny Naples, Florida. If he needs any help tell him to contact me on here or by phone I'd be glad to help with what I can.

I will update later hopefully with some good news.

Thanks Again,

Carlos
239-403-0000

Can't seem to locate that return line.. I took a picture and put a yellow arrow next to the lower set of lines from your diagram. From that yellow line which way should I be looking for this return line? Is it below by the inj pump? Is it the line with the red arrow? Thanks again.

0331161054.jpg

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thank you for valuable suggestions. I just got to the shop and hopefully I will find this leak today. I'm down here in sunny Naples, Florida. If he needs any help tell him to contact me on here or by phone I'd be glad to help with what I can.

I will update later hopefully with some good news.

Thanks Again,

Carlos
239-403-0000

Can't seem to locate that return line.. I took a picture and put a yellow arrow next to the lower set of lines from your diagram. From that yellow line which way should I be looking for this return line? Is it below by the inj pump? Is it the line with the red arrow? Thanks again.

View attachment 13517
Near red arrow. It connects to rocker box. The internal return line is just on the other side.

KBob44

New Recruit
We have a 2008 Hino, came in this morning and wouldnt start. new batteries and there is no power anywhere on the truck even to the main fuse box??? what could be the problem??

After digging around around a little bit now...when you turn the ignition key it makes a little bit of noise with a small amount of dash lights and then goes away quickly...Ignition switch problems?

Last edited:

KBob44

New Recruit
Turn the key to the on position and wiggle it around, we get brake light and oil light to come on the dash. Does not turn over. Had power to ignition switch from a black/blue wire. when we turn the ignition on we lost power

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, it looks like it might be time for the old Hino to get some new injectors, the dealer quoted me $740 each, but I found these for $280 each from China.

DENSO Common rail injector 095000 5280 095000 5284 095000 5281 for HINO Truck J08E 23910 1360, 23670 E0291-in Fuel Injector from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What do you think about these greasy?

The reason Im thinking new injectors is that its running a little rough at idle, and is starting to surge at idle, not enough to see the tach needle moving, but I can hear it. Although I read somewhere that could be caused by air bubbles in the fuel lines, and the other odd thing is that my water in fuel light is flickering. There is no water in there, I have tried draining it several times, but all this started the last time I changed the filter, so Im going to change it again and see if maybe I didn't get a good seal on the gasket????

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, it looks like it might be time for the old Hino to get some new injectors, the dealer quoted me $740 each, but I found these for $280 each from China.

DENSO Common rail injector 095000 5280 095000 5284 095000 5281 for HINO Truck J08E 23910 1360, 23670 E0291-in Fuel Injector from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What do you think about these greasy?

The reason Im thinking new injectors is that its running a little rough at idle, and is starting to surge at idle, not enough to see the tach needle moving, but I can hear it. Although I read somewhere that could be caused by air bubbles in the fuel lines, and the other odd thing is that my water in fuel light is flickering. There is no water in there, I have tried draining it several times, but all this started the last time I changed the filter, so Im going to change it again and see if maybe I didn't get a good seal on the gasket????

If those are genuine Denso and not Chinese counterfeits, then they'll work. The thing is, the latest Denso injectors provided to Hino have been modified with a diamond-like coating on wear surfaces that keep them working well for much longer.

Also, the calibration codes on each injector need to be within a certain number set. The code looks something like this:

8400 AB0B
2B09 D089
421B 2300
0000 6A

The totally made-up 84 is going to be the same across the board on all injectors, and if they're not, the ecu won't accept them. Then again, the truck will run with the old cal codes still in it, just maybe never to its full potential.

I don't know what to tell you. I've never knowingly run across a set of these before.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
We have a 2008 Hino, came in this morning and wouldnt start. new batteries and there is no power anywhere on the truck even to the main fuse box??? what could be the problem??

After digging around around a little bit now...when you turn the ignition key it makes a little bit of noise with a small amount of dash lights and then goes away quickly...Ignition switch problems?

This ought to keep you busy for a while. I hope you have a multimeter.
upload_2016-4-11_19-43-3.png

upload_2016-4-11_19-43-54.png

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Turn the key to the on position and wiggle it around, we get brake light and oil light to come on the dash. Does not turn over. Had power to ignition switch from a black/blue wire. when we turn the ignition on we lost power

The black/blue wire is going to the chassis fuse box to the MAIN fuse. If no power when you turn the key, you simply have a bad connection somewhere.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Did you find the leak? I pulled apart an engine the other day where someone had kinked and cracked the line and had soldered it back together. We all had a good laugh.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
For those who are interested: there is a truck in the shop with a shiny new VNT controller. Problem is, it's the wrong color. Turns out it had been 'remanufactured'. Source unknown to us. The servo portion works, but the CAN line has some deficincies. In other words, it's broken and puts the truck in limp mode. It does not put out a P0045 VNT malfunction code, but rather a U0073, engine CAN blackout code. All power, ground, and CAN wiring has been evaluated, no faults found.

If you're buying something like this, get the warranty information 100% clarified first. Removing the vnt with the turbo still on the truck is a fool's errand, so a faulty part is gonna cost you 4 hours of labor, plus downtime while the part is shipped back and forth, and warranty coverage for this sort of part may be tenuous at best.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If those are genuine Denso and not Chinese counterfeits, then they'll work. The thing is, the latest Denso injectors provided to Hino have been modified with a diamond-like coating on wear surfaces that keep them working well for much longer.

Also, the calibration codes on each injector need to be within a certain number set. The code looks something like this:

8400 AB0B
2B09 D089
421B 2300
0000 6A

The totally made-up 84 is going to be the same across the board on all injectors, and if they're not, the ecu won't accept them. Then again, the truck will run with the old cal codes still in it, just maybe never to its full potential.

I don't know what to tell you. I've never knowingly run across a set of these before.

Well I ordered these injectors will see what happens when they show up, how would I tell if they are the ones that have the diamond coating on them? Not really worried about if they have it or not, if I get the miles out of the new ones that I did out of the originals, I will be happy, but just curious if they are the latest ones.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chinese counterfeits often have several clues that give them away. This is why I want pics of any letters/numbers.
I will post pics when I get them.

Boy the surging is getting bad, I am starting to wonder if the scv is going bad, sometimes it idles perfect some times it surges and under light load you can hear the surging.

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Greasy,

Would it be possible to put an ecm from a 2006 hino 338 into a 2008 hino 338? Are they the same on both the different year trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.