Your Tips for life on the Road

Online DOT

Expert Expediter
Over the years my wife and I have come up with lots of ways to save money on the road. With a small investment you can see your paycheck get larger. Please Feel free to give your comments on how you save money or things that you have done to your truck that makes life better. Here are ours.....

1. Buy a refridgerator and microwave.....Keeping food in the truck is so much cheaper than what you will spend at a truck stop. Shop at local supermarkets or a Super Wal-Mart. You can also purchase hot plates that will be good for anything you might cook in a frying pan or sauce pan. 1 driver x 2 meals a day at $10.00 a meal is $140.00 a week. We spend $50 a week and that feeds 2 of us.

2. Purchase a TV, VCR, DVD, or Satellite dish..... The less time you spend in the truck stop the better. I know if I go in to watch a movie I always spend money even if its just for a soda. Remember #1. You could have your own sodas. We always get to the shipper or receiver then if we are early we have time to watch TV and Eat in our truck.

3. Carry water.....For $7.00 Wal-Mart sells a 5 Gallon Water container with spout made by Culligan. We keep this in our side box and use it to wash everything from dishes to our hair. Comes in handy when you have been running hard and want to be clean each day.

4. Shower.... You can purchase showers on line now that are made for truck drivers and can be used in any stand up truck. They plug into your cigarette lighter for power to heat the water and pump it. They cost about $300.00 but hey, think of the money that you can save over one year by not spending time in the truck stop or waitting to hear "shower # 8973, Your shower is ready"

These are just a few of our ideas. I could probley write a book on everything that my wife has come up with. Most of these are common sense..yet something you dont see out there. Waht are some of the things that you do to save money or have done to your truck to make life easier?

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Some of my favorites are:
1. I don´t really like microwave fare that you buy in the supermarket. I go to the deli, and buy it hot, or I rigged up a metal pan that sits on top of the motor, I wrap food in tin foil and heat it as i go down the road. Been doing it for years. Coffee too. Maybe too cumbersome for some, but I enjoy it.

2. For cold drinks in the summer, rig up a cup holder to hang in front of the AC outlet. Always a cold drink, and you don´t need to crowd your fridge. You´ll be surprised how cold it gets.

3. I use my ATM card to get cash; and pay cash at the pumps. My paychecks go to direct deposit. Saves quite a bit in a year over using comchecks, or credit cards.

4. Rent cars to sightsee, when time permits. Not so money saving, but real convenience. One of my favorites is ENTERPRISE. They come to the truckstop and pick you up.