Yellow Jack Fishing

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now through March is a VERY good time to fish for Yellow Jack in Biscayne Bay, Florida, in the Miami area. I did a "back water" charter there last July, well after peek run time on this fish and had a total riot!! We fishing for snapper until the tide got too strong then switched to barracuda. I caught barracuda until my arms hurt. As the tide switched to an outgoing tide we changed to fishing for the Yellow Jack. They run 8-10 pounds and when they hit a bait will strip a mile or so of line off the reel on the first run!! They fight like banshees!!! We fishing almost top water for them, drifting live baits with no kind of weight on the line back into the feeding schools.

I fished with a captain by the name of Jay Jawitz. He has a really nice 16ft flats boat. His tackle is the best you can buy unlike many charters that use cheap stuff. He uses Van Staal spinning reels ($700-800 each) and custom made Biscayne Bay rods. It is light tackle fishing, 20lb class.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hit the enter by mistake!!

Yellow Jack are a member of the Jack Crevalle family and are "Sushi" grade, which means that they "eat real well"

There is no parking for a straight truck or T/T rig so this would have to be a trip when you knew you had a couple of days off and had a rental car.

Cpt Jay had about 40 dozen pilchards that he caught that morning. He picked me up at 11am and he had been out with his cast net for bait since 6. He is VERy hard working.

Last years rate was $450 for an all day charter for two. He did me a deal. I was alone and it was no longer prime time so he took me out for $250. It was meant to be an six hour charter be we fished for 8. Part of the deal was to split the catch with him. He sells what fish clients don't want for $4 bucks a pound, un-cleaned, to local resteraunts for sushi. I kept 4 for my mother-in-law and he took the rest.

I higly recogmend this trip if you light hard fighting light tackle action. The good eats are a major bonus!! I would fish with Cpt. Jay again, without a doubt.

I give his charters 5 out of 5 stars!!!

He can be reached on the link below

Enjoy!!! :D

Layoutshooter

sf-fishingadventures.com

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Sounds like it was a wonderful day! The fishing would be great fun, but I would probably get seasick. I went on a cruise one time and ended up doped up on Dramamine the entire time. :(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is very protected water. It was almost flat the day I fished. Often fishing in only 3-4' deep water. 10' deep at the most. Layoutshooter