Wrong side of a hurricane..a true story

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was writing a reply about safety on the road, and the things you do to protect yourself from the creeps while on the road. It reminded me of a personal experience.
My wife and I always took winters off, our entire 18 year trucking career. We always go to someplace warm, spend a couple months, and recharge. About 4 years ago we had the opportunity to rent an apartment in the Yucatan penninsula of Mexico. My wife went on ahead to set things up, and I took the truck to my cousins farm, where I leave it when we go away, and joned her a few days later. My wife stands about 5´2" and goes plus or minus 10 lbs. of her normal weight of 115, depending on how much excercise she gets.
One day she was in the apartment alone,as I had gone to buy something, and a storm came up. She could see the carport where we parked the car, from the window inside the apartment, and she saw that the wind was loosening one corner of the carport roof, so she ran out the door to go tie it down before it blew away. This was about 1 o´clock in the afternoon. She didn´t know it, but across the parking lot was a thief, watching her, and he saw that she left the apartment door open in her haste, when she ran down the stairs. The thief went up the stairs while she was fighting the carport roof, and quickly walked into the apartment, and took my wife´s purse which was hanging on the back of a kitchen chair, and left. As he was leaving, my wife saw him coming out of the walkway, and recognized her purse. The thief quickly went around the building, and dissapeared. My wife called to the caretaker, to go around the other side of the building, and she jumped into our aerostar van, and went completely around the apartment complex from the opposite direction. She saw the guy walking out of a park behind the apartment, and rifling thru the contents of her purse, and discarding anything that wasn´t of value to him, while pocketing money, credit cards etc. She caught up to him as he was walking down the sidewalk across from the park, that was flanked by the wall of another complex, and she drove straight at him in the aerostar, bounced his mangy butt off the wall with the van, and as he was gaining his senses, she was already out of the van, with one of those security devices that you put on the steering wheel, holding it like a baseball bat and screaming at the top of her lungs at this guy. She just hauled off and whacked the guy across the face, and as he was trying to get away from her he split the back of his head open by smacking it against the wall behind him. When she hit him she didn´t get a solid shot, but enough that she pulled half his nose from his face with the blow, and there was blood everywhere..the wall, the street, the sidewalk ..and she was getting ready to lace him again when the caretaker arrived and grabbed her arm from behind. With all the racket she was making, several neighbors came out of thier homes, and subdued the guy on the ground and beat the crap out of him. Mexicans have absolutely no sympathy for agressive behavior toward women. Somebody called the police, and they came, and they too beat the crap out of him, and there was none of that wimpy miranda rights garbage. Then, when they took him to the police station, he had to call his family, and his father beat the crap out of him again. Turns out the guy was 27 years old, father of two. He did some jail time, and can never be seen in that neighborhood again, by court order. We never did find my wife´s perscription glasses, and a couple of smaller items that the a--hole threw in the park. After everything calmed down,I was concerned that my wife had taken that kind of risk, as the guy went about 6 feet, and 200 lbs. But,I know her, and know she was SUPER PIS-ED!! I, also felt real rage after the fact. To this day I am REALLY, REALLY proud of her actions, though she doesn´t like me to tell the story.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This reminds me of something my mom did when I was just a 7 or 8 year old kid. My dad used to work out on the road, and she would be home with only my brother and I. One night a guy broke into our garage, and took out the extension ladder and tried to get into the house through an upstairs window. I saw the ladder from a downstairs window, and screamed to my mom, figuring she would call the police. Instead she went out in the garage and grabbed one of my baseball bats, and went to where the ladder was at. Hearing her, the guy was already coming down the ladder, and she chased this guy down the street of our neighborhood trying to beat him with the bat! She just went plain insane from adrenaline.
After police were called the guy was later caught. The next day I found a purse belonging to another lady in the neighborhood under one of our trees.
My mom LOVES to tell and brag about that night :D
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Now in our country that thief would be free on bail and suing the hell out of your wife,the police,the caretaker and the neighbors. Plus be on talk shows and maybe a book deal.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich!!! You forgot to mention the Movie deal, getting media coverage from the NY Time as being the victim, and possible charges being brought up on the wife as a Terrorist.