Worst run?

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
It started in January of 1999 and ended in June of 2001. What was it? Expediting of course!!!;) To many to chose just one trip, but there is a reoccuring theme, Robert's/Fed-Ex is in just about all of the top 20 of the worst list. x(

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
it would be hard to pick a "worst" run...probably for me the worst runs were the ones where you have problems with your truck, finding an address, driving thru the snow etc. no fun runs, but i do recall the most embarassing run i can remember.it was in my tractor trailer days.i was loaded to boston, and my delivery was in an old part of town.like many northeastern towns, boston is still using low bridges that were in operation long before trucks were on the road.i had to go under one of them to get to my drop. after unloading, i had to drive the same route, under the same bridge...i had only been driving about six months...as i went under that bridge for the second time i hit the bridge and peeled the roof of my trailer off like opening a sardine can, about half the trialer length. i learned a lesson that i never forgot. the trailer rose a couple of inches after unloading because it was empty. the embarrasment was having to stand there watching all your fellow truckers, guffawing, as they drove by while you wee waiting for smokey to fill out the accident report. incidentally, it came out as a non chargeable accident to me, because that bridge was 13' 6" only if you were straddling both lanes, and i was gratified to find out from the attending officer, that i was not the only one who had hit it that week, didn't help my bruised ego much.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This one is easy. It happened a few years back when I ran for Thompson Emergency :-( . This Dennis fellow who worked the hot parts department at GM's Ypsilanti, MI engine plant started treating me like dirt for absolutely no reason. I had gone in the cab of my truck to grab the paperwork after opening the rollup door I had at the time. He started whistling at me like a dog and accused me of "wasting his time" :9 (Oh the irony of GM!) I got REALLY }> upset, lost my temper, and threw a nearby piece of wood at him. It hit his forklift, and I was banned from going to that plant for Thompson anymore. :'( actually :7

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The Great Battle of Ipsi

Weave,

Inquiring minds have to know..........what did the GM forklift commando do when the airborne piece of lumber connected to his ride?

:D :D :D :D

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: The Great Battle of Ipsi

I (sort of professionally) tried to end the battle there. He stopped and did nothing as I was not "Rover" and was no longer going to obey him. Thinking back, there were two choices- the truck gets unloaded or I pull out. I did not own this truck at the time, so I went in the cab and called both Thompson and the truck owner. The owner calmed me down and the deal was to allow Mr. Dennis to unload, and I was not to go back to the plant. Neither Dennis nor I exchanged words as the parts were unloaded, and I left and have never returned there.

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How about while you are unloading,not from a dock but from ground level,you tell lift truck operator to be carefull not to hit rear of truck with forklift. He says, "I know what I'm doing, I'm a professional". He then proceeds to hit rear of truck and break off both lower brackets that hold the doors shut. "Oops",says the fork lift operator. Yea, oops I say.
After unloading, I am enroute to make another pick-up and a piece of flat stone comes out of no where and hits the truck and takes out the grill. Get to the shipper and while loading,another "professional" lift truck driver takes out one of the interior box lites while trying to stack pallets inside of the box.
Leave shipper and while enroute to consignee, believe it or not another rock comes sailing my way and cracks the windshield.

Let's recap:
1) 2 broken door brakets
2) broken grill
3) destroyed interior light
4) broken windshield
All on one round trip. Is this my worst run or just an expensive one?

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck

fmrFedExcc

Expert Expediter
Worst run? Man thats a tough one - because FedExCC had so many of them. I suppose I have a tie for that one:

1. We had a GE run. 117 miles. Paid about $150. It took 19 hours to get unloaded. It seems dispatch was suppose to make an appointment for delivery. They didn't. We sat.

2. We had a run from Philedelphia to New York City. FedEx didn't give us the locals. You ever drive a "D" unit in downtown NY. It ain't fun.