Workman's Compensation Insurance

G

Chatted with a local courier recruiter a few days ago. They were looking for "independent contractors" or O/O. They said they required all of their "contractors" to purchase workman's compensation insurance from their insurance carrier. I ask if they were treating me as an employee, they said, "Of course not. You will be an independent contractor." So, I went on to ask, is this policy issued in your name or mine.

I guess I can see why a company would want to require that their O/O have workers compensation insurance to provide such coverage for me or my employees, but I was wondering how they could require me to purchase the insurance through their carrier. They were going to deduct the cost the insurance once a month from my checks.

They really got ticked off about me asking questions about all of this.

What's the low down here.

G

Jimmy,

I would run as far away fron this outfit as you could. Courier companies are notorious for hidden forced dispatch clauses. I ran for 3 years as one. Several of us left after we a large IRS fine and out of court settlement. When we were running with them they had 75 trucks..now they are down to 10.

Also, I think some states require Workers Comp......I think New Jersey is one of them.

THE X

G

In Kentucky, most all employers are required to carry workers' compensation insurance for their employees. But O/O & "indepedent contractors" are not employees. I would suspect that most states require employers to have some form of workers' compensation insurance for work related injuries.

The whole deal stunk. Representative would not answer any specific questions at all. Tried to make you out like an idiot. Typical of american business today.