Working for Panther

Bob

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK,I have been approved by Ohio to drive for my O/O and to do there two day orientation. I will be driving single. I live in Jax, FL. Will I ever get home and will I make a decent living?
Are there too many D units on with them now? I am new to this kind of driving and am wondering if I'm doing the right thing. All responses will be most welcome.
Thanks, Bob

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Florida is'nt the greatest area for beeing a driver. I've heard of some loads there, but getting out loaded will be a problem unless you have a good broker contact. It's even hard for tractors to find a backhaul. Fortunately, there is some freight going to GA and NC.
As far as getting home, your best bet is to look for your own loads. Panther is not concerned about getting you home, where you wont be making them any money. They even have a policy that prohibits empty moves to the state in which you reside, even if you live in MI, IN, IL and OH, where the freight is.
Your best bet for getting home, is to plan ahead and only accept loads going south in the preceeding days or book a load your self.
Hope this helps.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I never have nor ever will contract with Panther, but "A policy which prohibits empty moves to the state in which you reside" I find REALLY hard to believe. "Uh, Mr. Panther, I have a dentist appointment on Friday.."

Bob

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just what is an "empty move"? Are you trying to tell me that I can't leave say Atlanta and come down to Jax after a couple three weeks. And what are they going to do? Maybe Landstar would be a better place to go considering my location. The guy who owns the truck is not married to Panther yet, he called Landstar(I was there when he called) and they never got back to him. Anybody know who to talk to?
Thanks, Bob

Mustang_1234

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before making any judgements about any company. I would talk to someone who is contracted with them now. There is a lot of hear say on this board. And I personally would not listen to anyone that used to contract with a carrier. I just talk to people that are there now. Ask them if they are happy or not.

Thanks
Jim

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
An "empty move" is money paid to the truck for relocating to a better area for expediting. The pay ranges from about .10 to .20 a mile depending on unit size. If you turn down the next load( even if it's bad) after completing the empty move, you loose the money.
It basically pays for the fuel cost at best.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK, I stand corrected on the Panther terminology, I guess they don't want to pay people to go home. That's fair.