Women and Expediting

steph66

Expert Expediter
I was wondering if there were very many female van drivers in expediting and how they liked it and what problems did they run into. Thanks

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hi Steph, I'm not a van driver and I don't drive solo so I probably don't qualify to speak on the subject but I have seen a lot of solo lady van drivers out here but have never discussed any "lady on the road" issues with them. I admire your courage if you are going solo and wish you all the luck in the world. The only thing that comes to mind right now is the safety issue and I would think it would be better for you knowing that you can park out front of any truck stop out there. Also, I'd think about a dog, built in alarm system and wonderful company on the road.

MILITARY MOM AND PROUD OF IT

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I really only know one-woman van driver that is a member of EO, she goes by the user name of JJ. You may want to go to the user profiles and hit on her email icon, and drop her a line. She may be busy and on the road. She may get the email and be able to answer your post, threw her email.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I remember at Landstar there used to be several women who drove vans. Most I remember loved it.

Basicly they run into the same problems as a man would. There isn't as much male chauvinism around as there used to be. And with expediters nearly half the women driving these trucks of any size are of the female sex.

One thing about trucking, we all get screwed equally. Truckstops, companies..etc are non biased. They will stick it to you no matter what race, creed, color, sex or national origin :+

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
> And with expediters nearly half the women driving these
>trucks of any size are of the female sex.

LOL,bill just hadda ask, what sex is the other half. DD

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[table border="4"]I think you meant to say half the people driving are of the female sex??? But I too would like to know what the other half are [font color="blue" size="3"]just in case I run into one of them!!![/font][/table]

steph66

Expert Expediter
I live in lower Michigan which would be the better companies to apply too and would you recommend the sprinter?

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most companies are run about the same. I would have to say it’s all a matter of preference and what you like. You may want to contact some of the companies and feel them out, to see how they strike you. As for the sprinter! I know nothing about it. I read a lot of good things on this forum from drivers that own them. I run Chevy vans, and really get good performance with them.

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
I run as a single out here. I really don't see much of a problem. Some times you get treated better, sometimes not, by the shippers & receivers. It's mostly a matter of your attitude. I do have a word of advice. At night you're better off the stay away from rest areas. I ran into a problem one time at night...just had to go... but I make sure now I only stop at a truckstop ....rest areas have too many dark areas leading to the rest areas.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Male drivers can have problems in rest areas at night also. mainly with other males if you know what I mean. We do the Walmart Super Center circuit also Meyers etc. Park up front and you will be OK.Hint,buy some generic bill of ladings from Office Depot, then fill one out as if you were going to make a delivery to that Walmart in the AM.That way if security does come by and they see that ,they will leave you alone.Write in large letters,Do Not Deliver Early.Meet GE REP Jack Welsh at 9 am etc. Sometimes I use meet Fedex Rep Tom Hanks. I have only been kicked out of one Walmart and that of course was in trucker friendly California. Don!t get me wrong ,the truckstops are fine in the daytime to get cleaned up and hang out in,but at night they always seem to get noisy and atract drunks etc.