wireless

paperback1

Expert Expediter
just got a sprint merlin card for my laptop, after a 2hr wait and a call of about 45min wait time it's up and running, on it now and it's working just fine

paperback1

Expert Expediter
card was $179 with a $30 mail in rebate which brings it down to $149, and $80 per month unlimited access, and i don'thave sprit phone,i have verizon, but this has it's own account, even if you have a sprint phone

D Green

Expert Expediter
PB1, what are the contract length of time limits for the air card?

I know, I could call sprint, but I'd rather hear from a customer.

Our Verizon contract is up in March, & I plan on checking all of them for the best combined rates.

duckchaser

Expert Expediter
Paperback,
What sprint store did you get your service through ? I asked the local store where I live, they told me thay didn't offer that service here.

Truck Driver: One who works to feed the world, while starving their family.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I have a Sprint card since last spring but I am not happy with it. In some locations it works ok but in most locations it is very slow and most of the time it will "time-out" before I complete looking anything up.
Is anyone else having this problem?
I also have the Flying J wireless card at it works great. It is very fast and reliable. Unfortunately it only works at Flying J Truckstops.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Let me start out by saying that so far i like my aircard from sprint for my laptop-it works from upstate,ny to now in east st louis,il-i was looking for software for truck routing and looked for a while,then bought DeLorme software, its good, but not exactly wht i was looking for. now that i can go online on the road, i simply use the truck routing on this site-i never botherd to look, but this is what i wanted. should have paid better attn, could have saved $50, so thanks to the folks that made this site, paperback1:7

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
i have had my aircard and sprint service for 13 months... have upped for another years service. the timeout problem is related to the way the aircard sends and receives packets. to stay connected run a continuous connection like "ping"ing a website or streaming an internet radio signal... it will help with the timeouts. I love my service. I use it to find the best fuel prices as I route my next trip... that alone saves the cost of the service!!! I have had occasion to lookup a consignee's address and phone number without having to wait for dispatch to do it for me, and to up date map programs... etc. all banking online... i love it. As far as availablity... not all areas service it but most places have an available signal...except the outback in the west and north of portland, maine, other than that, I can connect at between 14.4 and 150+ yes... 150+ depending on signal strength and how updated the local tower is.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for your advice ClassicOne.
Please forgive my PC ingorance but I have no idea what "pinging a website" or "streaming an internet radio signal" means. I would appreciate it if you could explain these to me.
Thanks

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
>i have had my aircard and sprint service for 13 months...
>have upped for another years service. the timeout problem
>is related to the way the aircard sends and receives
>packets. to stay connected run a continuous connection like
>"ping"ing a website or streaming an internet radio signal...
>it will help with the timeouts. I love my service. I use
>it to find the best fuel prices as I route my next trip...
>that alone saves the cost of the service!!! I have had
>occasion to lookup a consignee's address and phone number
>without having to wait for dispatch to do it for me, and to
>up date map programs... etc. all banking online... i love
>it. As far as availablity... not all areas service it but
>most places have an available signal...except the outback in
>the west and north of portland, maine, other than that, I
>can connect at between 14.4 and 150+ yes... 150+ depending
>on signal strength and how updated the local tower is.

ClassicOne, where do you look up fuel prices? thanks.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck

G

I've got the sprint card but if I've got some time to kill in a town I go in search of a nice looking appartment complex. Ride through with the laptop on and Boingo running. It will almost always find you a nice network that is not password protected. I would not think of sleeping in their parking lot but I will stop for a few minutes to send/receive e-mail and faxes (efax.com) and search the load boards for some LTL to get me home to do the expediting again.

try it......

Marty

Veteran Expediter
What kind of network do you find at appartment complexes? Do you use your Sprint card for this?

G

my laptop (HP pavilion 5300) is wireless ready. Just hit a button and it "sniffs out" any available wireless signal. I use Boingo (a software program) to do the sniffing. It will show me all the available signals and tell me if their locked or not. The locked ones you need a code to get into, like the flying J network, but alot of people who buy the $50 wireless router at Best Buy don't set their network up to require a password. So when it connects I'm basically using their cable modem or DSL line over the airwaves just like a cell phone transmits and receives data....for free.

Its almost as fast as cable or DSL and MUCH faster than 56K or the aircard.

I haven't been able to find it in every town I go to but I've found it it in most.

oh, and I go to the appartment complex's because there are alot of families living close together. A neighborhood will have them too but the houses are spread out and they might call the police on you...wait, I am the police. Oh well, you get the point. :)

Aviator

Expert Expediter
I use boingo a lot also. For a view of it, see the other wireless thread. I oten find wireless conncetions I can hook into at Hotels as well. Hampton Inns are real good about providing Wireless broadband, as are comfort Inns. The connection I am using right now is a Comfort Inn signal. Most hotels also have a large shopping center or resturaunt nearby you can park in and still get the signal. If all else fails, I go in search of an apartment complex as well :)

Aviator

GUNSLINGER

Expert Expediter
If you are in the Knoxville, TN area stop by Freightliner of Knoxville and you can pick up a signal anywhere on our lot!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here we sit in a Pilot ts,and our Boingo sniffer tells us there is a Fling J connection availaible.So we are now connected even though we are 100 miles from the nearest Flying J.I asked the people inside the Pilot if they have a WY-FI connection.They asked me "whats a WY-FI"?.GO FIGURE!!!