Wireless Internet Access

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been hearing on XM channel 130 a lot about "HOTSPOTS".Lately they have been talking about this being avail at truck stops soon.I belive they even mentioned there is a ts in CA,with it up and running.they give 80211hotspots.com as a source of info.I visited this web site,showing manyof these access points.I.E.hotels,airports,coffee houses etc.so far i havent found any ts.Does any one know if and when they have spots we can access,what kind of cards or software we need.
Also is there a charge for access,and is it faster than the cell phone
service i now use thru Verizon.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
redytrk, Hotspots are loose connections of wireless internet connections within a building (LANS) They actually have games in NYC, in finding these wireless connections. All you have to do is drive around with your laptop, wireless card catch a signal and email in with a picture of the building and location of the signal.

I went searching for this on the web to and found a few things including this from http://WWW.Techtv.com "WiFi access has proliferated, offering convenient access to the Internet without the hassle of wires. It's also one of the easiest ways to hack today. Many companies have wide-open wireless access points ripe for the picking. By using a laptop with a wireless card (or even a Pocket PC), an attacker can find and jack into a company's wireless local access network (LAN)."

http://www.internet.com/sections/wireless.html I located this site as well. This site has a complete listing of all WIFI/hotspots.

We had purchased a Sony Vaio, it came with the option of a wireless card. The cost of the card and usage was 65.00 a month, and it stated unlimited access. We talked with another couple who also had the card, they bought out right. (230.00 if I remember correctly) The company that owned the card changed billing practice and it went from 65.00 a month to also included a charge per character. That couple ended up owing close to 450.00 that month even though they where under another contract with that company.

Owning a wireless card can still be very expensive, unless you find a free hotspot out there. Then its free.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The site you have is the correct one and every city and state that has a hotspots right now that is up and running is shown. (80211hotspots.com) is the leading resource for finding wireless access points around the world. Thousands of locations are listed and new sites are added daily. To learn more about 802.11 networking, visit (80211-Planet.com). You will learn everything you need to know about hotspots and there locations.

mj9287

Expert Expediter
I have a tri mode phone with the america choice family share plan through verizon wireless. My phone is able to be used as a wireless modem. That combined with unlimited nights and weekends is the way to go. This presumes you carry a laptop to access the net through.

Midnight Mover

Expert Expediter
Lucent Orinoco Gold cards are a good bet for your laptop. You can run external antennas on them by plugging a cable in. Cost is cheap.

http://www.orinocowireless.com/products/all/orinoco/client/pccard/index.html

My questions to all of you are:

What truckstops have wireless net access outside in the US?
What is the cost to use a wireless hotspot at a TS?

I know many Starbucks coffee shops have wireless net access for a reasonable rate. You can even use the wireless access outside of the shop. Truckstops shoud be a natural for this type of net access.