Wireless Connection with laptop.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We just bought a laptop for use on the truck.:7 There is an offer available for wireless connection with www.goamerica.com. The cost is 59.95 a month.x( I was wondering if anyone has used this or using it now. Have you had any problems with connections.

I tried using PNV connection, but was having problems staying connected. This was very disappointing to me. Thier tech's were not able to help me at all. They where showing me connected and IE was showing I was disconnected.

We are using Earthlink at home with no problems. They gave us an 800 number to use for the laptop, but when I tried it out, it was busy, could not connect at all. Plus, they charge $4.95 an hour for useage.

Oh, this is so confusing, its like getting caught on the inside lane of a rotary!:p

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I looked into goamerica when PNV was down. It sounded pretty good except that their coverage stinks. Mostly on the coasts, little for us in flyover country.

Wireless is still in it's infancy. Hopefully someday it will be better suited for us. Rumor has it that several of the truckstop chains have signed on to a wireless ISP that is supposed to give you net access while parked at their truckstops (No this isn't the one PNV has been telling us that they are coming out with)

Flying J is advertising a wireless ISP. But to me it sounds designed for big fleets, not individual users. Might be something to check though.

Here is goamerica's coverage map:
http://www.goamerica.com/global/images/coveragemaps/Verizon.gif

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bill,

I read the same article in the last Flying J newsletter about their wireless ISP. What I got from the story was they realy want to have "broad" appeal...even beyond the large car community.

Anyway, I'm attaching the article from their web site. It's a PDF file - it will download the whole LongHaul Newsletter.

http://www.flyingj.com/company/LHL16_3p10_15.pdf

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for all of the information and help. I total misunderstood goamerica when I had called. The way they had it stated over the phone that we only could received, was the east coast with no limitations.

sunset

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i use my laptop on the road all the time. but what i use isn't anything but my sprint pcs phone. i have the motorola timeport and it came with a connector for the computer to the phone. i have a 4000 minute plan that way i can use it and not worry about going over my minutes usually. it has happened before but their coverage is anywhere you can use your sprint pcs when not roaming. it connects at about 16200 so its a little slower than landline at home. but it helps me get a backhaul and check my e-mail when i'm on the road. which i'm not this week because of a poor economy i guess. that and the fact that panther is putting on drivers as fast as they can for the crap noone else wants to haul. they last about 2 weeks then they're gone!