Winter Checklist

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This subject has come up on other forums that i read, and i thought it would be a good idea to post a Winter Checklist here, too. i emailed the author (Choclit Sunda) of this, and received permission to copy it here:

################################################################

CLOTHING=*best to dress in layers*

1)coat(washable), (also a good idea to carry along an "all-purpose" coat...this is to be used for what I call 'dirty jobs', for those times when you have to get out & get dirty, such as adjusting brakes, pulling stubburn 5th wheel release, etc.)...

2)snow boots(lined with wool or thinsulate)also good idea to have an extra pair (all-purpose), shoes or boots for a back-up/alternate pair...if 1pr gets soaked/muddy, you will have back-up.....

3)heavy sox, long johns, thermals, lined shirt/jackets, several prs of gloves & hats that cover ears...

4)insulated coveralls/jumper/overalls

---------BEDDING-----------------------------

1)sleeping bag/comforter(that can withstand the freezing temps)

2)blankets=more than 1= in case you get stranded in middle of nowhere with no or little heat....you can wrap up in blankets to keep warm....(that's why I have a generator, so that I'll always have some kind of power...I also carry a small space heater, that is powered by my generator or my 2500watt inverter)...

3)12volt/electric blanket

4)flannel sheet sets

------------------FOOD-----------------------
***plenty of NON-PERISHABLES***
***plenty of bottled WATER***

1)peanut butter
2)canned soup
3)canned/potted meat(veinna sausages, franks-n-beans, etc)
4)crackers
5)dried fruits
6)beef jerky

***or for you hard core campers or military folks....how about some of those yummy M.R.E.s....hahaha.... ....well, you get my message...

---------------------MISC.-------------------

1)small shovel

2)rock salt/ice melt

3)de-icer(for windshield & door locks)

4)extention cord(to plug engine htr...to keep trk from freezing up....or protect from "cold starts").....

5)flashlights & extra batteries

6)jumper cables(booster kit-walmart & all auto stores sell this device that has built in jump cables & battery charger...some of the more expensive ones also have a 12volt socket & a 120 electrical outlet...this device is charged from your battery, then whenever you need it; it is already charged..the deluxe model is $99, but is well worth the money)....

7)ice scraper

8)extra fuses, anti-freeze, headlites, oil, tools(including 9/16, for adjusting brakes),hammer/mallet, extra belts, hoses, bulbs

9)first-aid kit(a GOOD/DELUXE one...not just asprin & band-aids...hahaha)....(I put mine together myself...& believe me, it has some of Everything in it...hahaha)
---------------------------------------------

***well, this is only a partial list.....things that I can think of off the top of my head....well, gotta go for now....I'll try to think of more & finish the list later....but I hope this helped a little...

################################################################

Thank you, Choclit Sunda -- i'm SURE that anyone who finds themselves in a position to USE any of the supplies/equipment you've mentioned will MOST grateful!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
....And if you carry all of this you will have exactly 30 lbs. GVW left over for freight....
Weave-------- Just had to make my first post on this forum SORT of comical ;)

Thumper

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Being an expediter for over four years we have found that a propane/butane torch to heat the gearbox on the trucks landing gear is a have-to-have item. Alot of places won't let you load or unload without the landing gear down and if it is froze-up it is almost impossible to get it to crank up or down.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for reminding me on that one!! I forgot how I fought with my dollies last winter- The gearbox must fill with some water from the rear tire offspray. Load it up with a ton of grease also to displace the water.