Winston-Salem, NC

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Whata Buncha Fun! :p

This weekend they spun the wheel and after a very busy week, we landed in Greensboro, NC. So, as in the past, we did a little research on the web and ended up visiting Old Salem, NC.

Both my husband and I like American history, so this was right up our alley. Old Salem is not far off the highway and an easy trip for a 6 wheeler. We first went to the Visitors Center and parked in the back of the lot. They have spots back there for campers and touring buses, perfect for a 6 wheeler!

You pay a fee of $21/ea. to go visit the town of 18th Century stores and homes that have all been restored on the neat little cobblestone street. All of the tour guides in each of the 20 or so buildings/homes are all dressed up in period garb and well versed in American History. I wondered what you could do with a Masters in History. Now, I know. They have a Tavern/Inn where George Washington slept which was really cool. We especially enjoyed the Shoe Shop where they are actually making a shoe while they are giving you your history lesson. And, if you get a chance to visit Old Salem, be sure to make it all the way down Main Street to the Bakery - Ummmy, umm, umm!

Later, on our way back down the street we stopped at the Old Tavern Restaurant. It was a bit pricey for dinner, so get there before 2 for lunch. But, what a great meal - we especially enjoyed the Herb Fried Asperagus with white cheddar cheese sauce!

We got there mid-afternoon, so we didn't make it to the churches off Main Street or the Museum. Next time we will plan to arrive earlier.

Where have you gone lately?

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
St. Augustine in april for our anniversery(37th), we stay at Hampton inns and rent a car from enterprise then tour the area we are visiting. Have been to Branson,San Francisco and San deigo ,always got there by a load and left all with a load, last was vancouver,bc in june'08 but didn't get to sight see much as we got a load the same day to jamacia,ny but hope to get back for a couple days sightseeing soon. Many don't like the tourist angle on this site but they are all single van drivers.We enjoy the paid tourist plan and like the money expedite trucking allows us to earn. We spent 3 days over the weekend in St. Agustine and always enjoy the town also kinda expensive but check the local internet for places to go and restraunts.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Whata Buncha Fun! :p

This weekend they spun the wheel and after a very busy week, we landed in Greensboro, NC. So, as in the past, we did a little research on the web and ended up visiting Old Salem, NC.

Both my husband and I like American history, so this was right up our alley. Old Salem is not far off the highway and an easy trip for a 6 wheeler. We first went to the Visitors Center and parked in the back of the lot. They have spots back there for campers and touring buses, perfect for a 6 wheeler!

You pay a fee of $21/ea. to go visit the town of 18th Century stores and homes that have all been restored on the neat little cobblestone street. All of the tour guides in each of the 20 or so buildings/homes are all dressed up in period garb and well versed in American History. I wondered what you could do with a Masters in History. Now, I know. They have a Tavern/Inn where George Washington slept which was really cool. We especially enjoyed the Shoe Shop where they are actually making a shoe while they are giving you your history lesson. And, if you get a chance to visit Old Salem, be sure to make it all the way down Main Street to the Bakery - Ummmy, umm, umm!

Later, on our way back down the street we stopped at the Old Tavern Restaurant. It was a bit pricey for dinner, so get there before 2 for lunch. But, what a great meal - we especially enjoyed the Herb Fried Asperagus with white cheddar cheese sauce!

We got there mid-afternoon, so we didn't make it to the churches off Main Street or the Museum. Next time we will plan to arrive earlier.

Where have you gone lately?

heh...... im thinking of moving over that way.....

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Old Salem is Great! I have dinned at that Restaurant myself.

W.S. many do not know is home to Wake Forest University so its a Clicky College Town and it has great dinning spots and entertainment. Cool City to be in as far as I am concerned. Enjoy, I am just down the Highway in Charlotte.