Width between wheel wells, cargo van

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I read in the requirements for a cargo van that 48 inches is required between the wheel wells. I notice some vans have 3/4 inch plywood mounted vertically with e track fastened to that. Looking at a Chevy cargo van the dimension is 52.7 inches. If you substract the two pieces of plywood and e track on either side, that gives you 50-1/2 inches. That appears snug for a 48 inch skid. Are skids 48 inches, or are they narrower? 2-1/2 inches doesn't look like enough clearance for an unhappy fork truck driver. Thanks.:+ :+

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Back in mt "cargo van" days, getting a 48" pallet in between the wheel wells wasn't a problem. Getting it through the even wider rear doors was the problem!:+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Prof: I have 3/4 inch ply on the walls you mentio bout I routed out that portion at the wheel well to a thickness of 1/4 inch to get 51.5 inch tween walls. Have not yet had a prob with the 48 in skid, even with bags of overlapping stuff on them. Not an issue worth worrying about.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks terryandrene. I never thought about routing out the area of the wheelwells. That might give me a reason to use the router I bought 20 - 25 years ago. :+ :+

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
prof: I forgot to mention that with E-track on the side walls you get all the ridgidity you'll need at the weak routed areas.