Wide Single Rims - Best Place to Buy?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The Puerto Rican and I bought each other some new Michelin wide singles for Christmas (do we know how to live, or WHAT????).

They're sitting at a tire place near home, as the duals we have still have a little life left in them. For that reason, we still have some travel and shopping time left.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy some Alcoa wide single rims?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Swing by the flying J in Indy. A few years back they offered to put my truck in a bay, pull my 8 tires/ wheels and install 4 tires/ wheels that I had picked off one of thier used trucks. $500 out the door. Thier used trucks are easier to sell with the 8 tire set-up. They'll be glad to see you. Enjoy the Singles.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'd try Regina @ Spitz Auto Parts 800.255.2052. They did a fine job getting me Alcoa Aluminum Duals for my 2006 3500 complete with centers and lug caps. She'll treat you right.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Called them yesterday. Pretty sure i'll end up buying there.

Thank you, Zorry. Meal's on us if we're ever in the same 'hood.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm so sorry.

Just kidding. She's the best thing that ever stalked me. .......and an amazing cook. We'll compare notes on the island grub.

Again, thank you.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You might want to try calling several truck tire dealers near home and in the areas you find yourselves. One recently told me he once had dozens of used wide-single rims on hand (gone now). They came from a fleet that tried super singles (wide-singles) for a while and switched back to dual wheels after finding the super singles unsatisfactory.

As mentioned above, truck dealers are also pulling super singles off used trucks taken in trade to replace them with duals to make the trucks easier to sell.

That's not to say super singles are a bad idea. It's just that enough people think they are a bad idea to make used rims available with a bit of looking. When you talk to the tire dealers, if they say they have no used wide-single rims, on hand, ask if they might know someone who does. They may know.

Truck salvage yards might be worth a try too.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The nice thing about Flying J is they need your old rims and tires to put on the truck they take the wide based rims off of. So you don't have to give away your used stuff.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
Wide tires and rims are more of a styling feature. I tried them on my truck and I have not noticed any increase in fuel economy. It makes my truck look like a mad maxx truck :p

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How accurately are you tracking fuel economy? If you changed in last month or two you may have gained what you lost to winter fuel and slick roads. You'll notice the increase in the spring.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the tip, Phil.

Big show, what model of wide singles did you use?

I had mine mounted yesterday, and wished I would have switched much sooner. Ours was a repo truck that we bought in October of 2009, and the dealer installed brand new Chinese crap on the drives. The singles ride much nicer, and there is clearly a fuel economy gain. While we only have about 700 miles on them now, we are seeing about a full mile per gallon increase. I'll be happy to report back in a month with a 30-day average, if anyone is interested. That alone has seriously made us reconsider replacing the truck anytime soon.

For the WHERE, we were in Bolt Sleepers yesterday to get the supports to our dinette table replaced. Don Bentz pointed us towards Brent at McMahon tire in Ft. Wayne. For any of you who knew Ron that worked for Don Bentz before his passing, Brent is Ron's son. Brent clearly got his genuine niceness from his Dad. We had two aluminum rims on each side, and the Chinese casings that still had 9/32 on them. We left with our wide singles (that we purchased near home) mounted, balanced and installed on two used polished aluminum rims, for the price of a handshake. That place has definitely earned all of our future tire business.

Also, for the uninformed, Don Bentz has a wealth of local contacts for anything involving trucks. His (Bolt Sleepers) ad is here on EO. Good outfit to do business with, IMHO.