who's in that truck??!!...and why!

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
throughout my trucking career, i have been many times surprised at the caliber of people behind the wheel, and on the road...so what did you do before?......and what made you choose trucking? i worked as a field technician, first for a television production company, and then as a tech for an onsite medical unit, that travelled the usa...my wife and i run team....she was a bonding rep for a financial company...i was always fascinated by trucks since childhood...and we decided to give it a try...that was 15 years ago..... the first 10 years we ran tractor trailer..we enjoy the lifestyle of travelling, and the freedom of bieng able to manage your off time to coincide with the things you like to do, when they're bieng done...how about you?:7

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That's a great question and one that I have often wondered myself. I came to this industry from the computer industry where I worked for Gateway Computers as a Major Account Manager.

I started my transportation business with FedEx Home Delivery and have now branched into FedEx CC. This career move has been quite a change but one that I am very happy about. I decided 2 years ago while recovering from having my gall bladder removed that I neeeded a change from the stress of high pressure sales. I won't say that driving doesn't have stress but it gives me some freedom that I need.

I am amazed when I talk to different expediters and truckers about the different backgrounds. I don't think people believe that I drive for a living because I don't look the part. That is fine with me! I do have to say that expediters and truckers are some of the nicest and most interesting people to talk to.

Let's hope that business picks up and we can all share in the success of expediting!:)

Jeff D. O'Malley

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What a great question! My husband was a registed CPA, who got fed up with corporate life, ended up joining Prime Inc. with a friend of his.
I am a certified computer operator (mainframe), worked for EDS/GM. I met my husband through his sister about two and half years ago, and I realized I was at the point of either quiting or finding another career. I joined my soon to be husband, on his truck for six months before I had made up my mind about driving. Now, there is no going back to four walls with or with out windows. No, more office politics! :p

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am a liscensed psychologist(MSU - GO GREEN). About 15 years ago I started working in the recreational building field after going to Eastern Michigan in Energy Management Technology. I then did nicely in the construction and outfitting of indoor ice arenas during the recent building boom. I now work about 5 months a year doing service work to ice rinks during there start up and shut down. I purchased a truck to haul equipment for that business and now expidite (starting next week) for 1st Class Expediting out of Rochester Hills, MI.
Thanks, Larry.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was a sales exec for many years. I sold to the auto industry for 22 years and enjoyed it a lot for most of those years. Near the end I got tired of the hassle that was part of multimillion sales contracts, and retired early, bought the truck, and hit the road. I have enjoyed 3 1/2 years of trucking and seeing the sights for 374,000 miles.

The beauty of the northeast during the past three weeks has been wonderful, with the color of the hardwoods in the mountains. Most of us have seen "Deer Crossing" signs, many of us have seen "Moose Crossing" signs, but this week I actually saw a "Bear Crossing" sign in southwestern Massachussettes. The road was near a shallow river, so I am guessing that the bears cross to get to the river to catch fish like you see on the National Geographic TV shows.

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very interesting topic. I have also been fascinated by trucks since I was little. I went to mechanics school from 1968-1970. I worked as a mechanic on trucks for one year. I joined the Army, and was a driver for three years. Then I worked as a machinest for 23 years, got burned out,(just couldn't take it any more), and started as an expediter. I don't make near the money expediteing as I did as a machinest, but I'm 100% happier.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was a printing press mechanic for 10 yrs. prior to driving expedite. I am an avid car, truck, and motorcycle fanatic and have been traveling this wonderful country since I got licensed at 16. Am now 32 and the craze keeps growing! I even build working RC truck models!
I really enjoy owning my own business which involves trucks, even though times are not so good businesswise now. I share my knowledge as much as I can. Being an O/O is very hard work! (esp. when friends want a helping hand!)
Even though at my young age, having seen quite a lump of the US and Canada, I will always love travelling. It's in my blood. I hope to get the new Harley next spring and get some time to relax and enjoy the back roads on a cycle again.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very Interesting:9
The talent in some of the trucks is electrifying:eek: It's great to know who may be in the truck next to you on the road.

I started out as a consturction worker, went to school, trained for and started my own business in the construction field. The company that I own specializes in building loading docks for the trucks that you guys are driving. I got to looking at and listening to the trucks and the truckers all over the east coast. I had to travel anyway because of my business, and I love to get out on the open road and go, go, go.
I spent many hours training the right people to do the work for me with minimal supervision, so I could travel at will, and get paid for doing it. I fell into this dedicated run that takes me all over Ohio, and parts of In., and back home. Not what I had in mind ,but oh well!x( x( x( I'm training someone now to do it and I start a new dedicated going east, all over PA., and parts of NJ., and NY., Next week. Love the freedom}> }> }>

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I spent many years working in the Research Instument industry.I was a National service Manger for a French Firm for many years,dealt with the really prestigious labs around the world.I then went into the cash register business and sold primarily to the fast food industry.Those wonderfull folks who run McDonalds in Oak Brook IL ,convinced me to get out of that industry real quick.I then worked as a Service Manager for National Semi Conductor and had a Boss who liked to call me at 0400 to yell at me about something or other,So I got fed up with the corporate crap,bought a truck and have never regretted it.My wife had a background in sales and marketing and also got fed up and burned out with the senseless BS that flows from VP!s that are only concerned about thier bonus at the end of the year.If things go right it is thier doing,if things go bad it is your doing..

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Y'all. Thats a great topic Loui????? Good to know other drivers backgrounds, that you pass along the way. I myself am rollin up on a whole 25 yrs old and been doing this for half a year now, before that I was an ASE certified auto mechanic (which I still do when I am home for a couple weekdays) for about 5 years, i love spinnin wrenches, but I got real tired of the stress and the long hours that went with it, not to mention standing on concrete all day takes a toll on your knees... I know am not making what I did before,but that must have been due to some poor decisions, love the freedom just hope the runs and $$$ get better, any advice is always welcome email to [email protected]. and don't trust a recruiter thats how I ended up with the company that I am with. I wouldn't be so pissed about it, but damn he made all sound to good to be true, which it was. A little honesty would have been great. Well good luck to all of you in the months to come, And god bless the highways ... Andy:7 :7 :* ;-) [email protected]

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I had many jobs before becoming an expediter. I spent 7 years in security management and was a member of our local police reserves. (Makes sense since I majored in criminal justice in college)

After college I kinda burned out of law enforcement/security and heard you could make lots of money driving a truck.

There was some lean years and I had to take some jobs I wasn't exactly proud of.....
Embarrasing, yes. But I had some great Christmas cards that year..lol

binkleylane

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Great Question, great answers.

I am a ex EE in computer sciences. Burned out at 42 and have been in a truck ever since. When I was very young my family used to commute across the PA turnpike every month to visit relatives in Ohio. I can still remember sitting in the old Howard Johnson's and listening to the drivers talk about their experiences on the road. One day the guy next to me was talking about his life as a trucker and he said that after all the B/S and bad roads ( this was in the mid 1950's ) that " he would always be a driver because it was just in his blood ".
That had always stuck with me for some reason. It was the statement that came into my mind after I had just blew off a job offer for 250K per year engineering a computer and communications system for GM. I could not bear the thought of continuning in the pressure cooker that had taken over my life. I had more money than I could spend but I had lost my wife, kids and everything else that meant anything to me. The thought of another three year commitment to the corporate meat grinder literlly made my chest hurt.

I cant imigine what would have been if I had stayed in the field, but I did make the right choice. With all the B/S and bad roads I guess I'll always be a driver because it always was in my blood, I just didnt realize it until I was 42.

A note to Wild Bill " STICK WITH TRUCKING CAUSE SANTA-ING AINT IN YOUR BLOOD" HO HO

Bob

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The responses fascinate me. One of the reasons I'm enjoying this industry so much is because we meet so many interesting drivers. It would be great to meet those of you who have responded to this topic, especially since we know a little more about you. Ellie and I are always willing to chat and you can find our story on the opening page under "Driver Profile".

Frieghtlinemike

Expert Expediter
Great question! I am looking at getting into the trucking business
after nine years of insurance and almost eight years of city bus
driving. The commmon denominator I read in all the messages, is
Freedom, something we seem to be short of these days.
Let me take a wild guess, you guys don't like to tell others
what to do and you don't like others telling you what to do.

Question:
Do any of you where uniforms?
:)

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
>Great question! I am looking at getting into the trucking
>business
>after nine years of insurance and almost eight years of city
>bus
>driving. The commmon denominator I read in all the
>messages, is
>Freedom, something we seem to be short of these days.
>Let me take a wild guess, you guys don't like to tell others
>what to do and you don't like others telling you what to do.
>
Don't be mislead, there will be plenty of people telling you what to do if you get into trucking. It may not be exactly like what you are experiencing now, but you will have Plenty of bosses out there. The owner/finance company is going to control you to make sure the payments are made. Your dispatcher, the DOT, and customers, all will have control over your paycheck, when or if you get to sleep, when or if you get to shower, when or if you can take the time to use the bathroom. The company and the DOT, might be telling you which routes you have to run the truck on. I'm just trying to make the point that it isn't all FREEDOM when you get into trucking/expediting, it is just a trade off of what is important to you.

>Question:
>Do any of you where uniforms?

I do wear a uniform now at my job, as a city Bus Driver. Would I go back OTR? Probably not, besides I couldn't afford the pay cut.

Good Luck in making the decision that is right for you. One last thing, if you do go into any kind of trucking, drive for a company, or an owner, BEFORE buying your own truck. [/b

truckinbuddy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I drive a 6-wheeler. Long, long ago, I was a manager at UPS. Got out of that and became a salesman for roofing and siding, fences., etc. My wife worked in the corporate world for 25 years. She was so stressed out by the end that she use to come home crying. She got tired of office politics, CEO's and Presidents that were getting younger than her, and she REALLY tired of taking their clothes to the cleaners and buying their wifes birthday presents! We both started driving as o/o's and have been loving life ever since!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Okay, Olko's sort of right here- It's not all freedom. After 3-4 years though, you do get shower and bathroom privlidges provided your truck payments are made and they are approved by your dispatcher and meet the DOT regulations for proper driver shower temperature and duration!
I am of course kidding here ;)
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rating louixo.

This was obviously a great question, responded to by many of the o/o. I attempted to use the rating system to give louixo 2 points for doing this question. I messed up and now the rating system won't allow me to post my two points. SO - will someone give the man the two points for me. Thanks - any may everyone have a very thankful Thanksgiving. Larry

Frieghtlinemike

Expert Expediter
just two, i thought it was three. Dot water temp is 85 degrees with
5years exp. 48degrees for all others. If you pay cash for your truck
does the bank still tell you when you can take a day off? lol:)