Who will stretch class 8's??

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Hey, EO Folks - I am looking to contact several reputable dealers that can stretch some tractors - and do a good job of it. I am often approached by individuals looking to do such a thing, and I want to be prepared to offer good options.
Have you had a tractor stretched?
By whom?
How much did it cost?
Were you satisfied with the job? If so, how can I contact them?

I appreciate your help! Thanks - Scott

"My Old Ride"
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/images/scott_han_sig_file.jpg

Questions About Express-1?
Call me 1-866-857-4537

-----------------------------------------

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Go to the pro's G-Tech in Detroit Mi.1-313-841-1633ask for Kris Granning. You want this done correctly not inexpensive! Good luck..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't have the number but Palmer KW in Indy does quite a few for Indiana Custom Trucks. Several of their trucks were at MATS this year.
Davekc

cliffn

Expert Expediter
There is a frame shop next door to Fyda Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio that stretches tractors on a regular basis for Fyda. Fyda usually has two or three of these on their lot that you can look at as examples of their work. Don't have their name or number but you can call Brandon Creek or one of the other poeople at Fyda and they can help you. Number is 614-851-0002. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cliff :) :) :)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
John at Freightliner of Knoxville sends his tractors out to be stretched too I know. I don't know who does it, but I know he can build you one out of Knoxville.

My question on this subject is... what is the minimum and maximum they will stretch a frame... does it matter on the truck?
was curious mainly in reference to Freightliners.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My question on this subject is... what is the minimum and maximum they will stretch a frame... does it matter on the truck?
was curious mainly in reference to Freightliners.

It will depend on many factors. weight ratio,engine and drive train, added accessories, single,tag,pusher,tandems ect. All will effect the length you can go.

It is imperative to have this done correctly.
Bad things can happen when it is not.

Davekc
owner
20 years

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Would be based on a class 8 Shaker, would have tandems, and would be nice to have large Cat or the beautiful Detroit 60 series. 6 speed Eaton or Eaton AutoShift, or some automated tranny of some kind. or a 7 speed spicer. large sleeper, with say about 100" sleeper - roughly.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With the overall length at 40 feet, you would be somewhere between 300" and 320" on the wheelbase. Any highway tractor could be stretched to accomadate those dimensions. Additional frame rail may be needed to support the weight of a larger sleeper, and reduce flexing.
Additional crossbeams will be needed also if a long stretch.
This will minumize torque and frame twisting.
Depending on the drivetrain and length stretched, you may need a transfer case for the driveshafts. Too much torque and too long of driveshafts could be problems with a long stretch.
Alot of items to consider.
Davekc