Who to sign a D unit with?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got a deposit on a D unit and have to choose a carrier. I have researched on here and found TONS of postive AND negative comments on FXCC, Panther, ConWay and others. Those 3 are currently my top 3 choices although I'm not married to any of them yet. I'd appreciate comments on who is good for a newbie to sign on with, especially from those who have been signed on with or are still signed on with the carrier.

My desire is to run about 3 weeks out then 3 days home and repeat. I want to sign with someone who can keep me running loaded miles so we both make money.

ConWay tells me if I sit 24 hours and don't get a load I can do whatever I want to find one and keep 90% of the load. FX and Panther don't offer that option.

Advice, comments, suggestions etc., please and thank you.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to EO!

May I ask what you are looking for in a carrier? Maybe if you list some of your goals (be realistic) - such as miles, revenue, home time, general expections, maybe some of the pros can share their opinions with you.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I plan to leave on a Monday and come back home on the 3rd Friday after leaving, stay home over the weekend and leave on Monday for another almost 3 weeks out. I'm not afraid of miles and want to get them.

I'm looking for "some" guidance since I'm brand new at this but don't want to be micromanaged.

I would like to run 2000 loaded miles a week with no more than maybe 400 dh miles, preferably less of course.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

barney

Expert Expediter
I think you are going to find out you need more home time. It takes 3 days for me to get rested up enough to fix the things at home, like laundry etc, and just plain time to chill out

Wrong Way

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
LDB, it doesn't say in your profile where you are from. i think that you will find out that expediting is too unpredictable to put yourself on a schedule like the one that you describe.you may find that you are hundreds or even thousands of miles from home at the end of your 3 week time period and it would cost you dearly to have to deadhead home. it would be better for you to let the natural freight cycles be the criteria for when you go home, i.e. you have been out for 2 weeks and find yourself within a couple hundred miles of the house.we live in ohio and almost always get to the house when we need to, but sometimes its just too far to deadhead to be home on a certain date. you have to be flexible in this bussiness. DD

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree completely. My idea is not an absolute, just an illustration that I'm willing to be out for a while. I'm from Houston so I know it will be less frequent to be passing near home than if I were from I75 somewhere. I'll be doing a lot of learning pretty soon I know. I just have to figure out who to sign with as a solo D unit.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LDB...I enjoyed talking to you at the FJ Temple Ga TS(before IVAN the terrible sent you scrambling for cover).
One thing I failed to mention was some companys can get you moving from your home base better than others.Houston has allways been good for us at FECC.I dont know about the others you are considering.You might want to ask them before you decide.
BEST OF LUCK!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Panther as well does get you out of the Houston area.
We know the area well as we use to live in League City and Pearland before moving to FL.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>LDB...I enjoyed talking to you at the FJ Temple Ga TS(before
>IVAN the terrible sent you scrambling for cover).

I enjoyed it as well. I hope we cross paths again. I meant to ask if you had been on another run and just happened back there again for the next night or if you'd been there the whole time and just turned your truck around. I hope it was the former and not the latter. Take care and thanks again for visiting with me and sharing your insights.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>to ask if you had been on another run and just happened back. I hope it was
>the former and not the latter. Take care and thanks again
>for visiting with me and sharing your insights.
I am afraid it was the latter.But it was our choice.We had an offer to make a run that would have taken us thru the eye of the huricane.We choose not to.As it turned out the run to OH and another,fr MI to Ga more than made up for it (a very profitable weekend)
Be safe...Hope to cross paths again!