Cargo Van WHO is the best to work/drive for????

Taxi Driver

New Recruit
Driver
I AM NEW to this business, but have been driving a taxi cab for years................... Who is the best company to drive a sprinter van for?? Or maybe someone out there with experience call tell/give me a top 10 list:: like
1) Bolt Express
2) Panther
3) etc
4)etc
5) etc.................................

Also, who is the Best to Drive for on the East Coast, West Coast and United States
I want to work with a company that has Volume and will keep my wheels rolling.
I want to drive my own Sprinter Van......................................

Thanks, Taxi Driver

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I AM NEW to this business, but have been driving a taxi cab for years................... Who is the best company to drive a sprinter van for?? Or maybe someone out there with experience call tell/give me a top 10 list:: like
1) Bolt Express
2) Panther
3) etc
4)etc
5) etc.................................

Also, who is the Best to Drive for on the East Coast, West Coast and United States
I want to drive my own Sprinter Van......................................

Thanks, Taxi Driver
Nobody can give you a definitive answer. What is good for one person may not be good for another.

Reactions: neilblack

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First did you buy a sprinter allready ...? If not Stop here

Next go to the Newbie section and read all posts and questions asked in last year ...

Then start calling Expedite companies listed on this site ..ask them questions... sprinter size needed ... possible miles .. pay per mile ...AND are you leasing on any more sprinter type vans ...?

Please research first ... DO NOT buy the Cart if you don't have an idea the type of Horse you need ... just my Op...;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I want to drive my own Sprinter Van.
Those two statements are incongruous with each other. They are virtually oxymorons. Most all companies out here have volume, the problem is that volume is dwarfed by the Sprinter and cargo van capacity. Imagine what driving a taxi would be like if suddenly there were about 10 times more taxis in your area. The fares would be both fewer and lower. That's the current state of cargo van expediting.

If you want to work for a company that has volume and will keep your wheels rolling, those wheels need to be mounted on a straight truck and you need a co-driver.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait to march or april. It's not really slow now but in a month or so. It will be very slow. Also hang out in a few truck stops an chat with other van drivers an see how they are doing freight wise an how there carrier are paying them. Calling companies will get you no where. They will tell you bunch of bs that there moving freight, there pay just to get you in. The real info is chatting in person with van drivers from different carriers. Land star, barret express, bolt express, fed ex, are decent company to drive for.

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

I want to drive my own Sprinter Van.
Those two statements are incongruous with each other. They are virtually oxymorons. Most all companies out here have volume, the problem is that volume is dwarfed by the Sprinter and cargo van capacity. Imagine what driving a taxi would be like if suddenly there were about 10 times more taxis in your area. The fares would be both fewer and lower. That's the current state of cargo van expediting.

If you want to work for a company that has volume and will keep your wheels rolling, those wheels need to be mounted on a straight truck and you need a co-driver.
Not necessarily .......why do I continuously hear that the only way to make it in a STRAIGHT TRUCK is by running as a team . That is completely FALSE.

Reactions: neilblack

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not necessarily .......why do I continuously hear that the only way to make it in a STRAIGHT TRUCK is by running as a team . That is completely FALSE.
I don't recall ever saying the "only" way to make it in a straight truck is by running as a team. His stated requirements was to keep his wheels rolling. My answer is within that context.

I will state that someone who doesn't know the industry very well and enters it in a straight truck, they have a better shot at "making it" as a team than as a solo. If you know the industry well, there is no question you can not only make it as a solo in a straight, but do quite well.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait to march or april. It's not really slow now but in a month or so. It will be very slow. Also hang out in a few truck stops an chat with other van drivers an see how they are doing freight wise an how there carrier are paying them. Calling companies will get you no where. They will tell you bunch of bs that there moving freight, there pay just to get you in. The real info is chatting in person with van drivers from different carriers. Land star, barret express, bolt express, fed ex, are decent company to drive for.
Calling companies will let you know if they are even putting on vans in the first place. Many don't for the first few months of the year. It will let you know what they base pay on what deductions are how old of Van you can have.

Reactions: ntimevan

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do your research by hanging out in truck stops an chatting with other van drivers from different expediting companies as well as straight truck drivers. Some companies are limiting vans on how many miles you can drive as a single driver verse a team. Then do some phone calling or personally stop in at those carriers you choose an talk to them in person. Either way in the expediting world which I have been in since 2002. I have never move freight every day for a month straight. One week you do 4 loads 2200 miles next week you might do 1 load 500 miles an sit for the rest of the week. Just like fishing. I set a goal on what I need to gross each month to cover my expenses. Also remember there's a lot more competition then there was 15yr ago too. An figure out how long you want to stay away from home. I go out 27 days an home for 5 days. Month of January an half of February I stay home. Some carriers won't let you do that.