Which straight truck?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Hi. I need some advices . I want to buy a straight truck. I find two.
First, 2004 International 4400, autom Allison trans, 380 kmiles with $25 000.
The second one is a 2007 Freightliner M2 106, autom trans,C8 engine ,370 kmiles with $35 000. Which one is the better buy?Thanks

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I would go with option 2. Still new enough to lease on anywhere. You could probably get the difference in the price back by running it longer.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would have to go with option 2 dont forget to look at box dimensions and door opening dimensions

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
If the Cat is a C9 (B50 life of 750,000 mi.s), better then a C7 (B50 life of 450 - 500,000 miles). Maybe it's a bored over C7 and somebody is calling it a C8, the number closely associated with the liter displacement. Cat did not manufacture a C8.

Something else to consider, some '07 M2106 were mnfctrd w/ an '06 C9, so no Diesel Particulate Filter, and Cat ACERTs do not have any form of EGR which is a big plus. There have been plenty complaints of the HUEI system on ACERTS, however, there is a report on a construction company who had repeated injector failures and they found switching to the recommended Cat high efficiency fuel filters solved their problems. Caterpillar is using a 2-micron secondary filter, while Cummins is using a 10- or 15- micron filter, depending on the engine, and other engine makers fall in between those two extremes. Here's a good read on the subject; http://www.nicktane.com/images/February HDT Fuel Article Part II.pdf

Deville

Not a Member
I would go with option 2. I think the 04' Int'l was the first year for that design & had it's fair share of issues.

Last edited:

jt1980a

Active Expediter
Both International and Cat motors are basically the same. Either engine is a pile. One thing to keep in mind is that the Freightliner uses better mechanical parts than the international. Such as wheel bearings, timken (freighliner) -vs- Hyatt (International). There are other good points to the freightliner but there is one bad point. The Freightliner 45 mph death shake. I own both International and Freightliner. If you are looking for a truck that will last for a long time I would consider a PaCar brand (peterbuilt and Kenworth) with a cummins engine (PX8). A little more money and not as aerodynamic or nice inside but the cummins engine will get you 25% better fuel mileage and last 200% longer.