Where Has All The Freight Gone?????

Youngin

Expert Expediter
right but the problem is i had already accepted the load BEFORE i was informed it was going to transfer..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can usually look at the run offer and see if a transfer will be necessay.The pickup and delivery times plus the miles involved will tell you if a transfer is necessary,At that time call the dispatcher and negoiate the transfer point,be careful and if they say "We don!t know where we will transfer yet",then you suggest the place and if they don!t go along,refuse the run.Chances are they are desperate to cover the load and obviously no teams are around.Last year we were in Houston and they wanted us to pick up a B load in our D unit,and start driving east.They were going to find a B unit to transfer the freight to in order to avoid paying the C rate to me. I flat out refused,they got poed and put me out of service.Next day I told a supervisor I cannot run under those conditions,not knowing where my destination will be.He agreed but the damage was done.I know a guy who took a trip last year and about 1 hour after leaving the shipper was told they they had located a smaller unit and he would have to transfer the freight.Instead of a 800 mile trip he was only going to get about 150.He said"No way" , turned around and and took the freght back. I think they might have pulled his contract,dirty pool for sure.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
if i was you i would be looking for a differn't company.i'm glad i dont have to worry about bullcrap like that.:eek:

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>Instead of a 800 mile trip he was only going to get about 150.He >said"No way" , turned around and and took the freght back. I think
>they might have pulled his contract,dirty pool for sure.

I had one like that - 20 containers of automotive lighting from London, Ohio to Smyrna, TN. A good paying run for sure. As soon as parts started going on the truck was told destination was changing - taking parts to Columbus, OH airport for air cargo to destination. Grrrrrrrr. Once underway with that load was told to return to plant ASAP for second load of containers to go on another plane. While at airport, I found out they had located a second truck to pick up the next batch of parts and I was done when they got my stuff offloaded to the plane. My $600 run turned into $60 worth of chump change in a D unit no less after deadheading almost 100 miles to the original pickup and facing 100 mile deadhead back home.

Meanwhile the ramp flunky at the air cargo carrier wanted to start giving me sht because I didn't help unload the truck. They started as soon as I got on the ramp. I had BOL's to re-write, phone calls to dispatch to make, etc. I got that wrapped up about the time they had everything off the truck. The old gomer started up about 'other drivers help unload their trucks'. I pointed out that the shipper BOL says consignee will unload freight and that as soon as my destination became air freight he became the consignee and no way was I gonna help him shoot me in the arse after my run just got turned to junk and I was in the hole for fuel after eating 200 miles of deadhead. Trust me - dispatch heard an earfull over that one.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IF ALL OF YOU DRIVERS OUT THERE GET TOGETHER WHICH WILL BE A FIRST AND START REFUSING LOADS THAT DON'T PAY A BUCK OR MORE, I MYSELF KNOW THE FEELING. AND TRIED TO TELL MY DRIVER NOT TO ACCEPT LESS THAT A $1.00 A MILE, FOR A CARGO VAN, "d" UNITS ARE SUPPOSE TO GET $1.07 PER MILE. WHERE i AM LEASED ON TO,

iF THE INDUSTRY DOES NOT PICK UP. WERE ALL IN TROUBLE, EXCEPT THE OWNERS WHO HAVE THERE TRUCKS PAID FOR. FEW AND FAR INBETWEEN.

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, WE ARE COMING INTO THE SLOWEST MONTH, JULY. tHE BIG THREE ARE CLOSING aLL PLANTS ON THE 30TH OF JUNE FOR A MINUUN OF 2 WEEKS, AND NOT OPENING UNTIL JULY 14TH, OTHER WILL BE CLOSED NEXT WEEK AND WONT OPEN UNTIL JULY 21STTH , SOME OTHERS LATER CRYSLER, FORD, WILL PROBABLY OPEN ON THE 14TH OR STAY CLOSED FOR 3 WEEKS.

SO EVERYONE TAKE OFF, NO LOADS RUNS PERIOD. THEN LETS SEE WHAT ALL THE COMPANIES DECIDE TO DO. IF THEY HAVE NO DRIVERS TO RUN THEM. BECAUSE THERE THE ONES WHO ARE MAKING THE $$$$, THAT REALLY SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE DRIVERS. tHEY ON THE AVERAGE CHARGE ANYWHERE FROM $2.00 FOR CARGO VANS, AND PROBABLY $3.00 AND UP FOR "d" uNITS, e FOR "E" UNITS IF THERE PAYING A DRIVER AROUND $1.40 A MILE AND UP, THEN YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE RACKING IT IN AND GIVING YOU THE LEAST THEY CAN, YOU GUYS REALLY CAN'T LIVE ON WHAT THEY WANT TO PAY
i KNOW THERE ARE NO 2 DRIVERS OUT THERESTHAT WILL ACTUALLY DO WHAT I AND OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED, STAY HOME. TAKE A ONE WEEK VACATION I PERSONALLY CAN NOT HAVE MY DRIVER OUT OF SERVICE, BUT IF IT CALLS FOR A SHUT DOWN, I WOULD BACK HIM 100. THIS WAY MAYBE THEN WE CAN FORCE THE COMPANIES TO RAISE THERE RATES, WE HAVEN'T REALLY HAD A RATE INCREASE PER MILE SINCE THE DEREGULATION, ONLY WHATS THE CHEAPEST WE CAN GET IT FOR. MAYBE THE COMPANY DRIVER FOR THE LARGE TRUCKLOAD CARRIERS GOT A RAISE IN THERE PER MILE PAY, BUT THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR HOSPITAL INSURANCE, WORKMENS COMP, TRUCK INSURANCE, AND MAINTAINCE. THERE NOT OWNER OPERATORS

fRANK