When does a truck need overhauling?

henboy1

Expert Expediter
On a 60 series Detroit engine withg 450hp and 1.1 million miles?
Is it when it burns a gallon of oil every 2000 miles?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's pretty high oil consumption. It sounds like it might be time for a rebuild or replacement.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would steam clean the engine and check for oil leaks.With that kind of miles you could easily have a brokken fitting or a crack in the pan,or a small split in a oil line.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I would follow richs advice I have the same in my truck and it has 980,000 doesnt burn a gallon between changes

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Detroits have a long history of having oil leaks. In fact, I don't believe I have ever seen one that didn't. A gallon on 2000 miles is excessive. As the others said, I would have it checked out.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
burning a gallon of oil in 2k miles should be obvious in your exhuast smell or color. If your exhaust is bluish white or smells like oil, you need a rebuild if not you probly have a leak.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Look for a serious leak around the oil cooler on the lower right passenger side of the engine. The seals there sometimes gush out oil when you start the engine up cold but go away once it warms up. About a 500-600 job to put new o-rings in there. If no outside leaks, you need an in-frame rebuild job. Good news they are not overly expensive for the Detroit 50 or 60 motors. Denny

jdoug03

Seasoned Expediter
Mudflap, sounds like you know your engines. I am looking at a series 50 at this time. What can you tell me about the engine. Is 650K excessive?