What's with all the fees?

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seems like signing with bigger firms is almost like signing a franchise agreement.

-Why would I pay for your Qualcomm system so that you can run your business most efficiently? How is it benefiting me? Messaging? Send me a text.

-Why would I pay you to advertise your brand on my truck?

-One carrier I am evaluating is charging almost $600 a month in fees

Can some of the experienced members please comment on the benefits to the owner operator of all these fees? Thanks!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The QC is of benefit to you in having 99.9x% connection, keeping you in touch at all times so you don't miss a load opportunity when you are in a cellular dead zone, when you put your phone down 'for a minute' while doing something else, when you forgot to plug your phone in and discover it's dead, that sort of thing.

The problem with it is the thieves in the companies who charge $35 per week when the cost from QC is about $14 per week. That's basic usage. Add in a little for the rare occasion when maintenance is needed. Add in a little more for wear and tear. Now we're at $20 per week from a fair company. Sadly, there are no fair companies. Landstar is closer to fair at $25 per week, closer to fair than the bulk who are at $35 per week.

I don't know about other companies but Fedex will pay an additional $1000 per year if signage is put on the truck, or at least that was policy a couple years ago.

Other fees shouldn't add up to $600 I wouldn't think. I'd be really scrutinizing the numbers.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Seems like signing with bigger firms is almost like signing a franchise agreement.

-Why would I pay for your Qualcomm system so that you can run your business most efficiently? How is it benefiting me? Messaging? Send me a text.

-Why would I pay you to advertise your brand on my truck?

-One carrier I am evaluating is charging almost $600 a month in fees

Can some of the experienced members please comment on the benefits to the owner operator of all these fees? Thanks!

Buy 2 more trucks and sign on as a fleet owner rather than O.O. fees can then be negotiated with the carrier as a benefit and in hopes of increasing your fleet size ( in theory anyway )

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
QCs are a great way to "automate" trucking. It MUST make life easier for everyone. But expensive. Like buying pop & milk at 7-11.
I do hear that the weekly deduction at Crossroads is $2 a week. LOL!!
;)

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
QCs are a great way to "automate" trucking. It MUST make life easier for everyone. But expensive. Like buying pop & milk at 7-11.
I do hear that the weekly deduction at Crossroads is $2 a week. LOL!!
;)

Do you use the Sylectus app for smartphones or do you use an actual QC?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know someone who refuses to pay for a qaulcomn. He has himself convinced it's smarter to pay 700. a month to insure his van. :rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$700 a month? :confused: I paid less than double that per year for my van with CIS.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But many are not as a lot of threads on here have shown over the past year.