What's Up WithThe Low Percentage?

SaltySailor

Expert Expediter
What's up with the low percentage owners want to pay drivers?I try to find an owner that wants drivers,they offer brand new equipment,but they only want to pay 30-35 percentage!How is a husband and wife team supposed to survive on that BEFORE taxes and EXPECT TO PAY A MORTGAGE,AND OTHER BILLS? I realize the owner is paying for almost everything on the truck, but it seems insane to get receive 30-35 percent before taxes? WHO IS GETTING ROBBED HERE? I might as well stay with a tractor trailer, and be home every night!!!!!!:-(

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Let me help you understand. I have a new cargo van and I have had 3 drivers in it since I bought it a year ago. My bookeeper has told me I have made about 300 dollars in a year above expenses. There is just no way to keep a truck up and then have it tore up by everybody that comes along and then pay somebody more than you make. STAY where you are and be home every night. Expediting is going thru changes you do not want to be a part of if you are working. Just call me BROKE AND IN NEED OF REPAIRS.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Hi Salty, I agree with you. I have sevral trucks, but I pay my drivers 40% gross and i pay for everything, I pay my drivers to drive. My drivers ave. $850-$1100 week. I go on here to the classified adds, and call every so often to see what other owners are paying. And I have to say it is bad. I hear a lot of them pay 60% but the driver pays fuel and tolls. First, why can't owner pay tolls, almost all companys pay back tolls, and why make the driver pay for fuel? I think they don't want the driver to idel the truck so much, which is ok right? Wrong! The owner if he has done his homework, will be with a company where his truck won't be sitting very long and that lowers ideling time. My drivers know how I feel about ideling, but if you want to have a succsesful business, you need to have good people around you first. I think thats why if you call for one of these adds, ask how long most drivers stay with him, and ask why they leave. I have all the original drivers, I have ZERO turnover. I started my own business after driving for 10yrs, and went and bought 2 trucks(semi's). I drove one and my freind drove the other. I now have 7 trucks, all in excallent condition, and each driver I have working for me loves it. So, look around there are good owners out there.