What's the real story?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I am working thru the process getting into expediting, not necessarily for the money, but money is necessary. First, as an O/O of a 3/4 Ton cargo van what can I really expect? If I work at it can I make $1500/wk consistently? I have gotten a lot of input and the one thing that most confuses me is whether to start by signing on with multiple companies, or, a single established company such as Panther?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you gross that much, probably yes. Regular cargo vans are kind of phasing out. If you haven't already invested I would call some recruiters first and see if they would put it on the fleet.

Personally speaking I would not go the multiple carrier route, high insurance costs, companies you run for competing against each other causing the rate to drop, etc. Some people here do like it though.

Reactions: runrunner

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would tend to agree with xiggi....stick with one carrier that you think you'd like after your research..for the same reasons he gave......

LDB

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Retired Expediter
$1500 per week is roughly $80k per year. If you want 4 weeks off during the year, and that isn't very much since the other 48 weeks are 24/7, you have to make $1650 per week to make $80k. Six weeks off is $1750 per week the other 46 weeks. It is possible to gross that money but by no means guaranteed to average that much over a year. If you are talking about net per week it's possible, just as winning the lotto is possible, but I wouldn't look for it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I am working thru the process getting into expediting, not necessarily for the money, but money is necessary. First, as an O/O of a 3/4 Ton cargo van what can I really expect? If I work at it can I make $1500/wk consistently? I have gotten a lot of input and the one thing that most confuses me is whether to start by signing on with multiple companies, or, a single established company such as Panther?

By the phrase "make $1500/wk" are you referring to gross or net? It would be pretty tough to gross that much and there is not a chance that you will have that as net pay.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
By the phrase "make $1500/wk" are you referring to gross or net? It would be pretty tough to gross that much and there is not a chance that you will have that as net pay.

By gross $1500 I mean what I receive before I deduct truck payment, insurance, fuel, taxes, etc., which will probably eat up 2/3 of that money every week??

paullud

Veteran Expediter
By gross $1500 I mean what I receive before I deduct truck payment, insurance, fuel, taxes, etc., which will probably eat up 2/3 of that money every week??

That would probably be a little high but not impossible. The first year isn't the best because there is a learning curve.