Whats Next???

whackem3

Seasoned Expediter
Hows it going yall? Im new here and i was want ing to ask some questions. You see, me and my buddy are planning on starting up our own hot shot business. We are in Houston, and want to get involved with all of this refinery equipment hauling. I have driven a truck with my dad since i was 17.

Now the questions are: What kind of licenses do we need? What kind of expenses are looking at paying? And basically, what are some of the main things to do to get this business kicked off?

Any kind of help would be great. Thanks!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Hows it going yall? Im new here and i was want ing to ask some questions. You see, me and my buddy are planning on starting up our own hot shot business. We are in Houston, and want to get involved with all of this refinery equipment hauling. I have driven a truck with my dad since i was 17.

Now the questions are: What kind of licenses do we need? What kind of expenses are looking at paying? And basically, what are some of the main things to do to get this business kicked off?

Any kind of help would be great. Thanks!

what kind of trucks are you going to be using? 1 ton,straight,tractors?

authority,irp account,boc-3,insurance,ifta,ucr
$300, depends on state,$35,depends on type of truck and value,$3-$5,depends on how many trucks

that will make you legal to run but dont expect the freight to just come knocking on your door

make sure the insurance company you use does electronic filings and your authority will become active alot quicker.

either common or contract authority
common your insurance company will have to give the fmcsa 30 days notice before it can be revoked and the exact amount of your cargo limit will show on safersys.org

contract your cargo insurance will just show that you have the min amount required.

I have always went with contract carrier but someone was telling me if you want to haul direct for the goverment its best to be a common carrier but I really dont know.

just like expedite hot shots can stay busy but you will run into times that you wished you worked at mcdonalds so you had a steady paycheck.

finding an insurance company that will insure 1 ton pick-ups pulling gooseneck trailers can be a hard but they are still out there just make sure you get at least 100,000 in cargo coverage then at least you will be able to set up with most brokers to get flatbed ltls and stay fairly busy

whackem3

Seasoned Expediter
We will be hauling equipment and piping from fab shops. We will be using 1 ton trucks and flatbed gooseneck trailers. I only plan on doing this on the weekend to start off. I know that the money is not steady because my dad is in the same line of work. I'm really just planning on starting small and making my way up to more work, and i figured that this is a good line of work to do that in. I'm located in Texas, where hot shoters are needed. Your information is greatly appreciated. If there is anything else that you find out, just let me know!!!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I think you're going to find that between payments, permits and insurance, you have a lot of investment to be trying to "ease into it" by only doing it on the weekends.

Try these links below. They are more suited to your kind of equipment and freight. Oh, and do your homework before you start spending all of that money.

HotShot Hauling

default.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person