Whatever Happened To Just Being Honest?

thynneman

Seasoned Expediter
It is very disturbing to hear about the half-truths being articulated by certain carriers to those who are new to expediting.

For example:
1. "We pay a FSC (Fuel Surcharge)on every loaded mile even if the shipper does not pay us a FSC."
First, if their marketing department is so inept that they can not negotiate a FSC then one would have to be suspect about the loaded mile rates for which they also contract.
Second, many carriers pay a FSC that is simply a flat rate per loaded mile; for example: 15 cents per mile for a cargo van. That is a windfall for the carrier, because they get paid a percentage of the load rate as a FSC; therefore the paid rate to the carrier can range from 36 to 21 cents per mile (averages based upon my settlements). When a carrier pays a flat rate they are pocketing the difference. Look for carriers than give you 100% of the FSC.

2. “We pay 80 cents per mile for every loaded mile.â€
First, carriers like to tout those numbers, but the reality is that they seldom pay that rate.
So how do they avoid paying the advertised loaded rate?
When the new owner operator goes to orientation they are told that “Occasionally†they will be offered runs at a reduced rate with larger companies just to help (Aren’t they so nice) the owner operator keep the wheels moving.
Second, the owners that I have talked with who haul for these types of carriers are running about 90% of their loads at 10 to 20 cents less per loaded mile than the advertised rate with those carriers than utilize this technique.
Third, at $3.00 plus per gallon, just keeping the wheels moving is never a realistic justification for paying less per loaded mile than the rate the carrier advertised.

3. “We don’t pay supplemental mileage to reposition your unit.â€
First, when I started in this business I asked a recruiter if it would be possible to get some compensation for asking me to reposition my unit 200 miles away from my current location. He answer was, “We don’t supplemental mileage when you reposition your unit because we believe it is an investment in your future.â€
Second, my reply was, "Considering the cost of fuel and maintenance this is a business and not the charity of your choice.â€

To anyone considering becoming an owner operator the above listed examples are reasons enough to have a list of questions in hand when trying to make an informed decision.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Having run for a few companies now, I will tell you I don't think anyone anywhere ever tells the real story. Lets face it, they want your truck on board. No pun intended. I don't feel anyone really does all they tell you they do, from tow assist to pay per mile.

I think it comes down to picking who you like best in terms of personality because everything is about the same and most pay you something per mile, get you some amount of runs, give you some percentage of FSC, may help you with roadside assist, will deadhead you more than you would like, will leave you sit longer than you like,will get mad if you turn something down, get mad when they wake you after 45 minutes of sleep to offer you an 80 miler and you are short with the dispatcher,and I could go on and on here.

You have to talk to current drivers, former drivers, and folks in the company then simply follow your gut on who you think is giving you the most facts and truths and take the leap. Outside of that, you bet you will get used to scrapping decals off before you find your happy place.

Raceman
OTR O/O

KYoung

Expert Expediter
I have 2 suggestions to newbies, or those inquiring about expediting.

1. Before you buy drive for someone else. Get some experience in expediting to see if it is for you. This business ain't for eveybody, the ole try it before you buy it. If you have no experience, go with one of the companies that have no restrictions on who they hire, panther, tri state, bolt. Check this website for owners who are hiring, give it a few months then if you like it, then look into buying.

2. Ask, ask, ask. Talk to drivers, not recruiters, about the company. You'll hear the good and bad and the ugly about every company out there, but be careful most companies reward their drivers (cash rewards) to con people into switching. If they will let you ask to see their books, concerning load offers, and pay make them back up what they say, if the hesitate or try to avoid backing up what they say, walk away.

Ken
Leam 4474