What Satellite company.....

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hi all,
1st of all Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
I want to have a dish in the truck, but I don't know who is best to go with, Dish Network or DirectTV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, any other tidbits of info as to....how to mount the dish, locators and such would be helpful.
At this point we can't afford to get the rollup kind of dish, so we will have to settle for mounting it somehow on the mirror.
I am going to get rid of the cable in the house since we spend more time in the truck. I'd like to get 2 receivers with the dish so I can take one with us and leave one at the house.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Laura

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I dont have any experience with putting a dish on a truck. But, I have had Dish Network in my home for almost 8 years. I am very happy with them. They have great equipment and channel packages. They are also a little cheaper than DirectTV too.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I have inquired about satellite service for my truck. Both Dish and DirecTV told me an installer has to install the eqipment in my truck or motor home. They will not send the equipment to me. The Installer has to bring it with him to a scheduled appoinment. My experience at my residence, waiting for an installer to keep an appointment has kept me from ordering the installation in my truck. Installers I've dealt with are notoriously late, if the appointment is even honored by the installer.

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
24darode
We have directv take one of the receivers from the house. Bought a 10' section 1-1/4" plastic water pipe for about $3.00 cut to about 7' long bought a used dish from a mom & pop electronics store (cheaper than the big box stores) for about $25.00 along with about 10' of rg-6 coax and a 3' section of rg-6 coax a satelite finder for $40.00 then we get the zip code for where we are parked mount the satelite to the pipe forgot to mention that we bought velcro straps from a sewin supply store. Anyway we mount the dish on the pipe set the base on the bottom step secure the pipe with velcro hook the satelite finder between the 2 coax cables and adjust to the coordinants given for the particular zip code oh and your going to need a compass also hope. this helps you. :)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I have inquired about satellite service for my truck. Both
>Dish and DirecTV told me an installer has to install the
>eqipment in my truck or motor home. They will not send the
>equipment to me. The Installer has to bring it with him to
>a scheduled appoinment. My experience at my residence,
>waiting for an installer to keep an appointment has kept me
>from ordering the installation in my truck. Installers I've
>dealt with are notoriously late, if the appointment is even
>honored by the installer.
Many truck stops have the Satellite TV available. They will not give you the BULL you are getting from the Co service people.

Truckers install there own systems all the time,and I`m sure you can too.

Another option is to purchase from Camping World. They will also install at one of their locations. You might want to check out their crank up models, they are very convenient.
http://www.campingworld.com/

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well there is the more expensive way is to get a auto-tracking roof mount unit. There is 2 kinds, 1 that will find the sat when parked and the one where it will let you watch tv as your drive. If I get one it would that kind then get a tivo. That way it can record my tv shows while driving and then I can watch them when parked. Now the trick to having a tivo is it needs to phone home a lot, so then you need a evdo card and a wifi evdo router. Ugh I just made it uber expensive but would be nice.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
I have a KVH R5 with the HD converter and DirecTV. Works when we are moving or sitting. Will cost you about 3k, but if you move more tha you park or are out for long periods of time as we are it is the only way to go.

Camping World is a great source

Forgot to add the DirecTV+ (HD with Tivo)

Rikk Sullenberger
KG4AAO
D-Unit

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Update...
Got the satellite for the house and the truck!!! We went with Dish Network.
We are so exited.
Can't get the in motion dish. Way to expensive. I would however consider the roll-up kind.
We got a conduit (not sure of the spelling) pole and some velcro straps to make a mast for the dish.
Anyone know of a way to possibly attach the mast to the mirror so that we don't have to keep taking it up and down? I would like to just take the dish on and off the mast when we need it.
All ideas would be appreciated!!!
Laura

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have seen guys mount the on Chrome Handles on the side of thier truck.
It looks cleaner than a mirror install. I have seen the handles for sale at chrome shops. They are for a handhold when you get into the truck and they mount onto the cab behind the door, or wherever you want if it is for a sat post.

PS Camping World in California is blowing out the KVH-5 dish's they told me they were more money than an RVier will spend. I bought one for
1600.00 bucks, which is about 1k less than they normally retail for, and not much more than the Wingaurd huge dome model. The KVH is also Mil-Spec, so I suspect it should be much sturdier.

The KVH is also low profile.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
chech the internet for the tracker,if you get lucky you can find a used one, either way its WAY cheaper than buying form an installer