What roads to not go on in nyc in sprinter van

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have a 8ft 6 clearence someone told me to stay off of the parkways is there any other major roads to avoid?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was going to say all of them but it's already taken. At least it's somewhat better in a Sprinter compared to a class 8. Good luck.

Reactions: ntimevan

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
You can look in any truckers atlas found at any truck stop.....there are lists of height and other restricted roads/sections of roadways in tables for each state

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 8ft 6 clearence someone told me to stay off of the parkways is there any other major roads to avoid?
Parkways are a big no-no to be on. No commercial vehicles allowed. A buddy of mine who was driving a cargo van for Panther happened to get on one time. While looking for an exit ramp, state cop was waiting at that first exit for hiim. Min. $125 if caught. Needless to say he wasn't happy when citation came in the mail.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Google Maps tried to send me down a "no commercial vehicles" parkway north of NYC headed down to the GW Bridge last week. Caught it at the last second and took the Tappen Zee instead. My Dispatch people avoid sending us to Long Island because of all the non-commercial routes out there. The pricey semi-truck GPS units would likely route you away from such roads. Not enough of a problem for me as I rarely go east of the Alleghenies.

NYC DOT - Trucks and Commercial Vehicles

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going to Brooklyn, I had 3 gps's going. Mostly kept me off the parkways but you need to pay careful attention to the signs. The one parkway I realized I was on, lots of dirty looks but no ticket

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Going to Brooklyn, I had 3 gps's going. Mostly kept me off the parkways but you need to pay careful attention to the signs. The one parkway I realized I was on, lots of dirty looks but no ticket
I review an old fashioned road atlas before I go and if a road has the word parkway I go around. Actually was in Brooklyn yesterday, ingnored "her" instructions and used surface streets.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I review an old fashioned road atlas before I go and if a road has the word parkway I go around. Actually was in Brooklyn yesterday, ingnored "her" instructions and used surface streets.

Wouldn't it be nice to have enough time in a job for a road atlas! (Well sitting in traffic near Brooklyn there's time I guess)

We're kinda the odd ones out, we can travel on quite a few weight limited routes in a van so the truck GPS'S aren't as useful, but a parkway is a parkway in NY

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run the parkways in NYC and NY all the time in my Promaster Hi-Roof. The key is, not having any commercial lettering on your van. I found that out after calling the NYDOT, NYPD, and Port Authority. The reason I looked into it so much is I am constantly using the Belt Pkwy to get to JFK. North of NYC (Bronk River, Hutchinson Pkwys) just watch your clearance signs. I've never encountered an issue going to White Plains, NY or into Connecticut.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I run the parkways in NYC and NY all the time in my Promaster Hi-Roof. The key is, not having any commercial lettering on your van. I found that out after calling the NYDOT, NYPD, and Port Authority. The reason I looked into it so much is I am constantly using the Belt Pkwy to get to JFK. North of NYC (Bronk River, Hutchinson Pkwys) just watch your clearance signs. I've never encountered an issue going to White Plains, NY or into Connecticut.
Yeah, there are a few 9' bridges on those parkway too

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, there are a few 9' bridges on those parkway too

That's true. I've noticed signs out on Long Island that were 7' 3". Fortunately, they were not my exits.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
That's true. I've noticed signs out on Long Island that were 7' 3". Fortunately, they were not my exits.
e6cbfa57c512b57b787f8100a089d2ea.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
As weird as it may sound, I'd much rather drive in NYC rush hour traffic than Northern VA where I am based. I truly believe we have the worst drivers in the country but everybody probably says that about their city.