What is the smallest tractor I can use?

abee12

Expert Expediter
My Ford F350 won't do it with more than 11k payload.
I want to pull a 6k lb trailer with an 18k payload = 24k lbs = trailer rating.
What is the smallest tractor that will do it in the Rockies? I'm trying to find something smaller than the Freightliner FL70.....so it looks more like a pickup than a tractor!!!
The fully loaded trailer will put about 6k lbs on the fifth wheel.
Every one I ask gives me a different story on what is needed for a tractor....so confusing....
If the tractor is rated at 30k gvw does that mean that tractor + trailer + payload shouldn't be more than 30k.

I noticed that Freightliner FL70 and similar trucks have the same hp as my 7.3 turbo diesel. Is the gearing much lower in the Freightliner? Do you run those trucks at high rpm and live with it?

I would appreciate some real world help from someone who has been there. I'm stuck with the trailer.... can't use a van.

Thanks for any help you may offer.............

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
What are you pulling? The trailer you talk about, is it a van or flatbed? Carhauler maybe? Help us out here with some more info? OK??

abee12

Expert Expediter
You bet! The trailer is a gooseneck flatbed. For wind resistance, I would say the load is 5 feet above the bed and full width of the trailer.
Trailer has dual tandem axles.

abee12

Expert Expediter
I don't know if it matters, but the load is evenly distributed along the full length of the trailer. Bed is 25 feet long. Can't think of anything else to add, but let me know.

Appreciate any responses.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Ford 450 or 550 would pull it. Tri State Sterling has them here in Sharonville ohio. Tell them whta you want via the internet or by phone and they will set you on your way.

There is a nice site someone onces listed on here it is something like Texas Cadilac. They have some nice looking units as car haulers. They may help as well. I just do not remember the site.

Raceman
Two Straight
owner
part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
One thing to keep in mind is that the 11K GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight)of your F-350 is not the GCW (Gross Combined Weight) of that truck. While the trailer you want to pull will likely be more that the F-350 is designed to pull the GCW number is what really matters.

For example according to recent TV commercials I've seen regarding the '05 F-350 it has a towing capacity of 19,200 pounds in dual rear wheel configuration.

After a brief and slightly frustrating visit to the Ford website the GCWR for the '05 F-350 is 23,500 pounds.

The whole point of the above that I've written is just to make the original poster (and anybody else interested) aware of the differences between GVW and GCW while considering other trucks to pull the trailer you mention.

The piece of advice I would offer to you when considering a tractor is to buy the biggest truck you can afford that will do the job. I learned that lesson the hard way in repair bills in another trucking business I owned. I stopped buying Ford F-450's and started buying International 4700's. The 4700 was actually $1,500 *less* than the Ford in those days. Things like bent frames, prematurely worn out brakes and such were a thing of the past.

A bigger truck will allow for better service life of the rig. Instead of running a smaller truck at it's maximum range a stronger truck will last longer, perform better and overall be safer and more comfortable to drive IMHO.

Hope this is of some help.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I think Tw is right on with his comments. Although the folks I listed could help you with the trucks I listed, you could encounter the problems TW lists with these small trucks. The folks at Tri State that I list above can help you and most likely recommend something much better than one of those Fords. Best of luck with you hunting. I can say I think the looking is nicer than the owning but I am crying the blues lately. Good Luck.

Raceman
Two Straight
owner
part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
We could all use a little more info on your needs . One point is going with a truck larger than a 350 will put you over 26,000 lbs and subject you to fuel taxes and reports you are now exempt from . I own a Dodge 3500 Dually . The towing capacity is 16,000 with a gooseneck .( GCVW 23,000 ) . I've pulled trailers close to 14,000 lbs. up mountain grades (6% ) in TN and WV at 60 m.p.h. with ease . I have an automatic transmission and it will go down these grades with just brief applications of the brake , less than I used brakes combined with a jake brake and suitable gear on a truck grossing over 78,000 . I've talked with owners of new F-350's and the Dodge is far more reliable and service costs and parts are less expensive . Ford dealers act like one tons are made of gold and won't negotiate . I paid $32,000 for a truck with an MSRP of over $40,000 although it was a demo used by the dealership owner to tow his Viper and had less than 2,500 miles on it . But it was already equipped for towing and had a gooseneck hitch . Are you leasd to a carrier or do you have your own authority ? What type truck do others making the same type haul use ?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
More coffee , more tips

O.K , I have a little more to add . If you do get a new truck buy a flatbed without the hitch and add it after purchase . This will allow you to avoid paying excise tax . There's more info on this at cowboycadillac.com which I think is the site raceman was referring to . Again , buying a truck with a gcvw of over 26,000 lbs . will result in more tax payments . Don't try buying a truck with a gcvw of over 26,000 and registering it for less . DOT inspectors go by the weight stamped on the manufacturer's plate . I know this because I once had a 20 year old driver stopped in KY driving a Ford Super Duty that was rated with a GVW of 11,000 but registered in OH for 10,000 . I was told he couldn't drive a vehicle over 10,000 lbs. interstate . Luckily we were in KY and he had a KY license and had just left a KY customer so had not driven outside KY. . I was following him in an F-350 and we swapped trucks . If money was no object you could go for the pickup International is selling . GCVW for that is 25,999 . You're really pushing the limit for under 26,000 by wanting to pull an 18,000 lb. load . How much fuel do you carry ? A lot of owners of trucks your size add an extra 100 gallon fuel tank and forget to allow for this extra weight . You might check the GMC 4500 and 5500 with the Duramax engine or another International . You say you're stuck with the trailer but what are your upkeep expenses going to be pulling 18,000 lbs, over the Rockies ? I'd keep a close eye on trailer brake wear . I don't know what kind of money you'll make but you may be better off in the long running going to a van . Let us know how things go .

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
RE: More coffee , more tips

After re-reading the original post it would seem that no matter what he tries to tug that trailer with he is going to be over 26,000 pounds as the trailer (per his post) is at 18K so even if he was using an F-350 as a tractor that would put him at a GCW of 29,000 pounds. T be under the 26,000 point he would have to find a tractor with a GVW of 6,000 pounds and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Crazy is also correct that the DOT man is going to use whatever number is highest for weight (Registered weight, manufacturer's rated weight or actual weight) when you cross the scales so buying a big horse and registering it under 26K will just end up hammering you at the chicken coop.

Of course if the original poster has an A CDL then then it simply is a matter of finding the right truck for his needs.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.