What is the maximun size

M3

Expert Expediter
What is the maximum size an expiditer (cargo van or sub 10,000 pound capacity straight truck?) can be to pass through DOT weigh stations and log book requirements?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Somebody set me straight on this subject here a while back. Sub 10,000 pounders do not have to log unless hauling commercial freight in NY or KY, but NY and KY don't really enforce that law.
Here's the deal on weigh stations- it's just a matter of reading the sign, and it can't hurt to go through. Some states state a weight "Over 5 tons, etc." some say all commercial vehicles, some say "all trucks". In my book a van isn't a truck so I wouldn't bother. In interstate cargo van is a commercial vehicle so I would go through. I wish there would be a nationwide standard for this stuff rather than individual states making up their own confusing rules. The safety director where I run told me that the vans and cube trucks with the company are just about never bothered with by the DOT.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe oif you are less then 10,000 pounds you are OK.If you are hauling HAZ/MAT you need to log iregardless of the weight.

M3

Expert Expediter
RE: What is the maximum size

So basically, if you run a A or B unit (cargo van) you need not log or stop at weigh stations (unless haz-mat). So without logbook, a solo driver can run more than 10 hours?