What is the max load I can take?

tbird165

Seasoned Expediter
Going to be driving a 2001 FL 80 with a 72" raised roof double bunk sleeper and a 22' box single rear axle what is the max the rear axle can have on it? If you can tell me what is the max pound load I can take on and be leagal?:7

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
what's the GVW rating of the truck first off! then load it with every thing your going to have and top the tanks then weigh it at a truck stop costs about 8 bucks. subtract that weight from your GVW keep in mind max on front axel is 12k and rear single axel is 20k!
hope that helps

Alvin

tbird165

Seasoned Expediter
So you mean after I move in and gas up with out a load in it go weigh the truck and subtract that from the GVW right?

tbird165

Seasoned Expediter
Thats what I will do just put all my stuff in go fuel up with an emply box then subtract that weight from the GVW and when I load up make sure that no more that 12k is up front and 20k in back. Right?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You stay in it when you weigh it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I saw a guy standing on the concrete siding while the truck was on the scale a while back so now I tell people that. Not sure what his thinking was because by the time I got parked he was gone.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
doesnt matter what the drivers weight is,when you got your emty weight,it was suppose to be,full of fuel,all the junk you carry around,such as co driver,golf clubs,bowling balls,food in fridge,clothes.
then you will know how much weight you can put in your truck
ooida 263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613
steve gilbert

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The driver's weight is part of the load just like his personal items in the sleeper so it definitely matters in the total. That's why I pointed out you have to be in the truck when it's being weighed.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Depends on the API gravity. During the summer, diesel will weigh between 6.951 (API 38) and 7.076 (API 35) pounds per gallon. Last winter, the diesel weighed around 7.206 (API 32) pounds per gallon.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Try this, go to a scale (Cat or other) scale the truck first with the tanks near empty, get your scale ticket, go put in half a tank of fuel, go do it again with a half of tank its only gona cost you a dollar for each re-weigh now go fill the tanks to the very top, go and re-weigh for another dollar.

Now keep those three tickets in your log book, when dispatch calls and ask CAN YOU you can refere back to these tickets and determine how much fuel you have right now and make the correct decision.

I tried memorizing the empty and full but memory does you no good if your wrong and cross over the govts scales. Wrong is wrong. 12K steers 20 rears = 32 your truck is probably registered at 33K but that means nothing at the scale in the DOTs eyes. Some states will let you go over on the steers but none on the rears, I would not chance it as we cross state lines and 12 & 20 will keep you safe.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Do not mean to sound harsh here, finding out the hard way is going to timely and expensive. Go scale like I explained and rest your mind at ease, you might be able to take 13 than again you might be able to only take 11.

And when you get a load close to your max one should ALWAYS find a scale to make sure you are legal.