What Is My Title?

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
I am new to expediting. I recently accepted a 1099 offer to drive a Sprinter. The owner of said Sprinter pays for fuel, tolls, maintenance, etc.

That said, what is my official title/role? Is he (owner) considered the carrier in this case?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That said, what is my official title/role?
You are an independent contractor, contracted to operate the vehicle for him. You do have a contract, dont you?
Is he (owner) considered the carrier in this case?
He could be, but not necessary. Does he find the load? Is he leased to another company?
Several factors are involved.

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
At this time we do not have a contract in place, no. Rather, a firm handshake.

He, a veteran of expediting, will find the loads, yes. He will in fact do all the things I wouldn't want to do. I will drive, only. We will work in symbiotic harmony to corral the coin.

I do not believe he is leased to another company, but this is not something I even considered. Can you elaborate on this please?

Shotcallerj touched on the topic, here: How do Expeditors get paid as contractors LEGALLY???

As not to get too far off topic, I will perhaps create a different thread addressing the pros and cons of a contract.

Is it then safe to say, for now, that the family tree is:

Company
|
Broker
|
Dispatch
|
Carrier (owner of vehicle)
|
Contractor w/out a contract (me)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At this time we do not have a contract in place, no. Rather, a firm handshake.

He, a veteran of expediting, will find the loads, yes. He will in fact do all the things I wouldn't want to do. I will drive, only. We will work in symbiotic harmony to corral the coin.

I do not believe he is leased to another company, but this is not something I even considered. Can you elaborate on this please?

Shotcallerj touched on the topic, here: How do Expeditors get paid as contractors LEGALLY???

As not to get too far off topic, I will perhaps create a different thread addressing the pros and cons of a contract.

Is it then safe to say, for now, that the family tree is:

Company
|
Broker
|
Dispatch
|
Carrier (owner of vehicle)
|
Contractor w/out a contract (me)
First things first.... Get a contract spelling out what you are responsible for and what the van owner is responsible for.

After you have said contract then you can worry about all the rest.

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
Hence the mention of my making a separate thread touching on the pros and cons of having a contractual agreement.

Here in this thread, based on the information I've provided, I simply needed to know my title, and where I sit in the equation. I believe I am a contractor of sorts (without a contract), who is being allowed to use a carrier's vehicle to earn money for the both of us.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hence the mention of my making a separate thread touching on the pros and cons of having a contractual agreement.

Here in this thread, based on the information I've provided, I simply needed to know my title, and where I sit in the equation. I believe I am a contractor of sorts (without a contract), who is being allowed to use a carrier's vehicle to earn money for the both of us.
Until you have a contract, you are a driver.

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
Driving is a duty of mine, but I am a contractor if I'm 1099 come tax time, regardless if there was contractual paperwork signed that contained SOPs, rules and regulations. Is this correct?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not necessarily..... come tax time you could be classified as an employee.
Quit trying to reinvent the wheel.

Get a contract.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where are all these people coming from to drive sprinters that don't like contracts?

I need 75 of you right now. We don't need a contract. And you don't need to know I'm going to deduct all fuel and repairs and truck rental fee from your pay until nothing is left

Just message me here, I like to stay anonymous

PS I don't have a green card either so no problem

:p

Reactions: FlyingVan

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
Hello, I'm one 1 of 75. Not sure if the remaining 74 have resources or not, but I do. Enough so that I can afford to make a calculated risk, since, if it does pan out, the pros far outweigh the cons, for both parties.

The only con I've seen thus far is the owner being a... con. I don't imagine they'd last very long doing folks bad like that.

I give everyone a chance. I'll report back here in 6 months time, with play-by-play.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello, I'm one 1 of 75. Not sure if the remaining 74 have resources or not, but I do. Enough so that I can afford to make a calculated risk, since, if it does pan out, the pros far outweigh the cons, for both parties.

The only con I've seen thus far is the owner being a... con. I don't imagine they'd last very long doing folks bad like that.

I give everyone a chance. I'll report back here in 6 months time, with play-by-play.
Yes my response was sarcastic asking for drivers. I'm an owner op

If you have resources and don't mind, try it. Not being paid as agreed is most likely the worst thing that could happen to you, although drivers can get mixed up in double brokered theft scams thru no fault of their own

PS if it was me, and this guy didn't have an MC to check I'd be calling the insurance company to check the policy is valid, and somehow check the vehicle plates/ownership
(I don't know how that wouldn't be YOUR ticket as the driver)

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had a "handshake" contract with who I thought was an honorable person. They disappeared to Georgia or somewhere. Lost about $30k on a default buy while driving after repairs etc.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a "handshake" contract with who I thought was an honorable person. They disappeared to Georgia or somewhere. Lost about $30k on a default buy while driving after repairs etc.
That's a HORRIBLE story and I'm sorry it happened to you. Was hoping it was at least a little funny.

Last year, a reputable carrier stopped paying me. It was a complicated route and was for a leg I was involved in.

$15,000 and I HAD A CONTRACT.

Maybe people will read these and smarten up?