What is a short load?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Just wondering what everyone would consider the cutoff in terms of miles for what you would consider a short load that should pay higher. I quoted a couple 300 mile straight truck loads this morning and was told that "We don't have anywhere near that much money in that." I've always considered 300 miles a bit on the short end for a straight, especially a solo having to start his clock, and I think something like that should pay a higher rate per mile than something with some good miles on it.

I know with some carriers anything over 75 or 100 miles is paid at the standard rate, but most of the time I'm able to get a higher rate for anything under 400 miles. Today I have people wanting to pay the same per mile for a 300 mile load that they would for something going 800+. I just don't think it's worth having a guy start his clock for 300 miles unless he's getting a much higher rate to make it worth his while, since the day is effectively shot unless you're lucky enough to book something else right away.

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
I think you are right on with the 300 mile figure. Assuming that everything goes well on the way to and at the shipper and adding the drive time and unloading time that 300 mile run would probably use up about 6-7 hours of the drivers day. I would hope that the rate would be higher but at the same time I would have to consider what area it would leave me in and the odds of getting out of there in a timely manner. If I'm sitting in the yard I know exactly how many of our own trucks may be ahead of me and taking the run might allow me to end up in a better area for the next run...even if it is tomorrow. I used to drive for a company company and I was sitting in the yard and the dispatcher called me about a run. It was Friday 1 pallet and was going next door...150 yards away. I asked him what it was worth...expecting him to maybe offer to buy me a diet coke...he said hold on a minute and when he came back he said it paid $165/20. I almost fell over! Wish I could get rates like that all the time!