What happened to Eclipse Expediting?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Ontario there is a Database just type in policy number (authorization) and bingo! That's all that needs to be done and the wanna to do it..,,there are so few that offer this service there could easily be a national database minus personal info

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
http://www.registrymonitoring.com/

most real branded brokers, 3pls etc already use this.

Yes we do. But that monitors the carriers insurance that is contracted to you. How easy is it for shady carriers to just provide a unit bin number and policy info for a properly insured unit and then just send another unit? Again the carrier is a signing the contract and providing the certificate with the contract. Not the owner operator.

Easy answer....back in the day if you could only afford to fully insure 5 trucks you only ran 5 trucks. Then when you could afford 6 you went to 6. Yes it took time but it was done right. Today some want to ensure one unit and operate 80 units 4 months later???

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
In Ontario there is a Database just type in policy number (authorization) and bingo! That's all that needs to be done and the wanna to do it..,,there are so few that offer this service there could easily be a national database minus personal info

Other issue is correct coverage. Someone like Allstate for instance will write a policy that is valid and enforce but is for local delivery only. Might have radius limits and not cover interstate freight. So you can monitor it all day and it will come up valid but it won't cover in the event of an accident.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
The only real problem with the VOI is the constant issue of carriers and agents trying to find a way around actually paying for legit insurance with the proper coverage. The RMIS doesn't even look for the correct things to protect us from uninsured vehicles, they get a cert that shows the right coverage and your good to go. I've heard it several times from different carriers that aren't do things the right way, "the insurance companies are making it unaffordable for me to even stay in business". Well the main reason the rates are going up is because of the fraudulent policies that are being discovered and insurance companies paying on claims they should have never been involved with.

As JKE had mention earlier this is not an easy business to start, but if you do then just do it the right way. I am more than happy to support and partner with any size carrier that does things correctly. I would like to say this again, that none of this should be about "big companies" and "small companies" it should be about everyone doing things fairly, honestly, and protect us all from unneeded risks.

Reactions: sbarrett

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Also RMIS monitors carriers insurance coverages. I am not sure they would even monitor a policy that was not written for an MC#.

Pettrey is dead on. Size is not the issue here. We started small and so did C&M. So it can be done right and succeed. It is simply people exploiting the system and the owner operators plain and simple. No matter what some will post, nothing noble about people cheating the system.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
size doesn't matter?.......LOL

carriers should eventually get it together to at least narrow down the inadequate covered bunch....not many insurers out there that offer the complete package.....
Maybe sylctus could start an approved policy writers database or information page or even Teanna?
I don't think anything would be perfect but you could make it easier on yourselves to have one click checking...
and anyone being caught could be placed on list as well....

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
This is one of those post that just keeps giving. Although I disagree with the OP inference of the big guys trouncing the smaller operators as I have posted, his starting this thread has evolved into a very informative exchange of information. Somehow, I see this subject being included in the business education workshop. How about it John Elliott & Lawrence? The better informed the masses the less chance of this cancer spreading. Not to encourage negativity but a title like; 'Fifty ways to cheat your Contractor' using the 1975 hit of "Fifty ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon as your background theme... just thinking out loud.

Reactions: jelliott

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
size doesn't matter?.......LOL

carriers should eventually get it together to at least narrow down the inadequate covered bunch....not many insurers out there that offer the complete package.....
Maybe sylctus could start an approved policy writers database or information page or even Teanna?
I don't think anything would be perfect but you could make it easier on yourselves to have one click checking...
and anyone being caught could be placed on list as well....

Sylectus is just a transportation management software, they are not going to go into this. It's like asking Microsoft to not let people use Microsoft word to write bad things. TEANA is trying with the VOI program. Carriers and brokers are trying as well. But the push needs to come from all sides. Owner operators need to realize and recognize what is going on and demand better from their carriers or move to carriers that do it right and protect them properly. It is a big problem with people doing fraudulent things and hurting OUR industry. We ALL need to help fix this.

Reactions: davekc

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
This is one of those post that just keeps giving. Although I disagree with the OP inference of the big guys trouncing the smaller operators as I have posted, his starting this thread has evolved into a very informative exchange of information. Somehow, I see this subject being included in the business education workshop. How about it John Elliott & Lawrence? The better informed the masses the less chance of this cancer spreading. Not to encourage negativity but a title like; 'Fifty ways to cheat your Contractor' using the 1975 hit of "Fifty ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon as your background theme... just thinking out loud.

I like your thoughts. Shelly from CIS does a really great column on EO. You can find it on the home page. Insurance is confusing but she lays it out better than most! It is really a must read.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
how about them carriers supporting the big LIE....that sure they I/C's are covered when they really are not.....hmmm 50 ways to cheat your I/C aka O/O it can work both ways...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
how about them carriers supporting the big LIE....that sure they I/C's are covered when they really are not.....hmmm 50 ways to cheat your I/C aka O/O it can work both ways...

I agree entirely??? That was kind of where this whole thread started. Personally as fast as we can catch them we cut them off as being a carrier for Load One. A lot of unhappy carriers with us the last few months....

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I just read an article in the new Land Line magazine that said if the Grow America bill passes as it is proposed the bigger carriers will no longer be able to self insure. Grow America will also include compensation for a driver's on duty not driving time so the costs for the bigger carriers could be getting ready to go up a bit.

1st section is driver pay and 3rd is the self insurance

http://m.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=28811#.VVJuE2m3PFo

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Big or small it would cost all carriers the same proportionally.

The self insured fight is just the insurance lobby trying to monopolize the insurance market.

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Rookie Expediter
Quick question.
We are one of those carriers that try to do everything legal. Oh my God how complicated that is... BUT coming back to the topic at hand... We currently have only scheduled vehicles on the policy, all company owned. I asked my insurance agent what would we need to do to work with independent contractors owner operators. I gave them the insurance that OO currently holds. They said it costs me $300/year per vehicle with minimum policy $1,500. The OO usually work with 2-4 carriers. So the $300, even if passed on to them, is almost nothing. So why are you saying the model will dissapear? Is my insurance wrong?

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I was at Ford yesterday early AM and arrived st the same time as another expediter in a very old, very beat up un-labled van. The eastern European driver did not speak English and kept holding out his paper in answer to every question asked. So, I ask if you think his or his carriers insurance is legit? If not, isn't Ford, by virtue of having deep pockets just as culpable on the event of an issue.....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I was at Ford yesterday early AM and arrived st the same time as another expediter in a very old, very beat up un-labled van. The eastern European driver did not speak English and kept holding out his paper in answer to every question asked. So, I ask if you think his or his carriers insurance is legit? If not, isn't Ford, by virtue of having deep pockets just as culpable on the event of an issue.....

They very well could be dragged into a lawsuit. Most likely Ford did not award his carrier the load directly, but that is really hard to say and would be speculation. But if the van is not properly insured as you are assuming it is likely a number of companies could get drug into a liability lawsuit on a number of areas to include negligent hiring.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Big or small it would cost all carriers the same proportionally.

The self insured fight is just the insurance lobby trying to monopolize the insurance market.

But does the insurance lobby have enough power to influence the government so much that they will be able to force everyone to buy insurance? :rolleyes:

I'm buying stock in insurance companies. It will be a great place for retirement money.

Reactions: jelliott