What area? What truck?

G

I have decided to get into the expediting business and lease my truck to Roberts or Nation's Express,my question is ,do i live in a bad area?I live in northwest Illinois near the Mississippi.Also should i get a d or c unit? Anyone have any thoughts on that? All respnses would be appreciated

G

I'm not that sure about Nations Express freight lanes but, I know that roberts is strong in your area. You may be Deadheading to North Carolina with N.E.....but then again you'll never know it till you try it.

X

G

Obviously you have not been in the expediting business so DO NOT mess with a company like Nations Express or LEA.Go with someone that is big and has freight that you don't have to look for.Roberts or Tri-State is where I always recommend when people ask me where to start because they have the freight and you will make enough to pay your bills while ya learn the business.Otherwords,you have a better chance at surviving the learning process where you're actions are controlled by the company,if you go where they tell you and do what they say you WILL make money.Then you can earn as you learn--OJT. As you learn, then you can make educated decisions,but the most important thing in the beginning is to survive while learning.This is our slowest time of year--good or bad time to start depending on how you look at it..The business is getting rougher every year with all the competition so the best I can say is GOOD LUCK in whatever you do..Where you live should not be a problem,as far as equipment,a straight truck gives access to more freight..Try not to take ALL the freight,save some for the rest of us..

G

Please layout Nation's Express proposed pay and operations plan beside any (or all)be sure you understand them.I believe they
do NOT pay any deadhead, Non-trucking liability costs $2,200. per yr compared to $28. per month at another co.Check against other potential companies. Direct backhaul pays 1/2 rate. Ed

G

You will discover that eveyone thinks they know the answer. Listen to half of what you hear and don't believe the other half.You will learn by mistakes just as most of this drivers did.

G

Rick,

I know you're looking for answers now, but Expediters Online has just about completed a Mini-Guide to Expediting, kind of a guide for newbies. We hope to have it up on the web site soon and it's packed full of info and advice from veteran expediters and others in the business. It doesn't have all the answers, but it should give you some basic info that might help in your choices in expediting. Look for it in the very near future.

Jeff

G

As others have stated, if you do not have experience in expediting, go with a bigger company. As far as units, I see no benefit to driving a C unit over a D. Remember the bigger the truck, the more loads you are able to carry.
Last but not least, DRIVE FOR SOMEONE ELSE FIRST, BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO A NEW EXPEDITING TRUCK. Straight truck sleepers are a specialty. Right now, the market is completely flooded with used D units. If you buy, and want to get out, expect to take a big loss.