What’s up with true team

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I see more often loads request true team drivers on cargo vans
Curious how many of you are in team and does it really make sense unless you are husband and wife to be in team and split the profit if any at all?
I do not see the rates are high for team drivers?
What would happen to the loads if there are no team available in the area?
Are they shipping by airplane?
I used to be a team with my brother on ext sprinter for couple weeks and it is not fun to sleep in there while in motion ended up sitting in pass seat anyway.
And teams still need to fuel up, eat and shower?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I see more often loads request true team drivers on cargo vans
Curious how many of you are in team and does it really make sense unless you are husband and wife to be in team and split the profit if any at all?
I do not see the rates are high for team drivers?
What would happen to the loads if there are no team available in the area?
Are they shipping by airplane?
I used to be a team with my brother on ext sprinter for couple weeks and it is not fun to sleep in there while in motion ended up sitting in pass seat anyway.
And teams still need to fuel up, eat and shower?
Because most carriers do not give a cra.p if your solo or team just for the load to get there on time.....

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I don’t think it is the companies how sets up the times but most cases brokers and shippers
Are there that much “true”team drivers on the road?
load needs to before there next day 1500 miles and broker is required true team
But if it is not covered by the team than what happens to that urgent load or it is 100% covered by the team?
Just curious what is the % of team drivers?

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
- Since this is a team - the customer will need both drivers to have 2 forms of ID with them on the Van - Please confirm

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure what your actual question is but I'll try to shed some light on this as I understand it.

There are very few teams out there, and most are couples, and in most cases they are slower than solos because only 1 person drives anyways but two people need to stop for food and bathroom etc, of course there are exceptions. (this is not the case in box trucks or bigger, just cargo/sprinter van)

Team loads pay a lot more, the customer pays more, but the drivers don't see any of it. Brokers usually pick the cheapest option, which is a SOLO that is willing to lie to them and say it's a team, of course there are exceptions.

Brokers ask for a team out of legality reasons, in case you fall asleep and crash they can say they asked for a team.
Most absolutely do not give a :censoredsign: if it is SOLO or not, just deliver on time, of course there are exceptions.

TURE TEAM or TWO MAN TEAM, sometimes a shipper will require two people for various reasons and will actually check for two drivers, this is when brokers say "need true team" or "need two man team" because they know that most teams are not actual teams but rather a good SOLO driver. It's like a code, this time we need two people or you will not get loaded, so SOLOs don't try because they will get turned away, and yes it does happen.

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Thanks
I do not see the point of this as there are
Very few team drivers and you are right couples make sense Why the hell they can’t add a couple more hours to get that load delivered. I do not think it is so critical to get that load by the set time. My Question is what will be happening to all those loads that require team and can’t covered? are they canceled or reposted for next day if so wouldn’t it make sense to add couple more hours and give it to solo drivers
Now I see more and more true team required loads out there

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind that these decisions are often made by people who have never driven commercially.
They take options from several brokers without having a real idea of what the laws are, how often you have to stop to fuel, eat, bathroom, etc.
Best thing to do is just stick to your guns when you quote something, don't let the broker bully you into promising a faster transit time than the 50mph industry average. Hell I add a few hours to that if we are going northeast, or any huge metro area like DC, Chicago, LA, etc.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind that these decisions are often made by people who have never driven commercially.
They take options from several brokers without having a real idea of what the laws are, how often you have to stop to fuel, eat, bathroom, etc.
Best thing to do is just stick to your guns when you quote something, don't let the broker bully you into promising a faster transit time than the 50mph industry average. Hell I add a few hours to that if we are going northeast, or any huge metro area like DC, Chicago, LA, etc.
Yup because east coast is 90% toll road for major roadways.