What´s in a name?

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I look on this forum, and I see all of these names floating by, and I wonder where they came from. Some are pretty obvious, others real creations. So just to satisfy my curiosity, tell us where you got the name you use here, or the CB handle you use on the road. My name, here on the forum, is my first name. My CB handle is "The Bionic Banana", because I like to read alot about technology, and it was given to me by a friend, a long time before the word "geek" showed up.

streetsweeper

Expert Expediter
I earned my 'nickname' @ a scalehouse in Montana in the '70's before they had commercial vehicle enforcement. The scalemaster was a handicapped character, loved giving every driver he could crap and sometimes at night, he'd operate the scalehouse with no lights on inside.

It was snowing, I turned off all my marker lights about two miles from the scalehouse. He was hiding behind his darkened windows watching a bright set of (aircraft landing)lights low flying into 'his' weigh station.

Staying left of the scale pad, the snow was billowing out from under my rig. My KW was Appliance white and I was moving through the lot at 85 MPH, he didnt so much as get a license plate number(Neither did any one else for that matter)

About a week after returning from Peace River Alberta, one of the local MHP's stopped at the truckstop in town, came over & sat with us. He'd known me since I was a kid & after some :censoredsign:ting around he casually mentioned something about the scalemasters experience the week before.

12 people sitting at the table broke out in laughter (MHP included)! None of the guys knew who had done it. The patrolman when on saying that the only thing ol scalemaster saw was 'some very bright lights coming at me' and ducked behind his counter thinking he was about to die, HAHAHA!

Finishing his coffee, the patrolman remarked that the State of Montana should hire whoever it was, to sweep the snow off the scalehouse lot on a regular basis. The swathe left in the snow was plain as day when he arrived there at daylight. That patrolman kept looking at me.

I think he knew damn well who it was.My ex-wife commented after he left that whoever it was, they were going to be in trouble if he found out. Getting her & the kids in the truck to go south with me, I told her "It was me Honey". She damn near fell out the cab laughing & hung the handle 'streetsweeper' on me. ;)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dreamer is actually a shortened version of an online nic I have used for years, Lyrical Dreamer, which comes from my affinity for reading and writing poetry. (yep.. me!)in fact, did have a poetry website called Lyrical Dreams, which I am now in the process of rebuilding, and actually have one or two published somewhere..

CB Handle is Hi Rise, which simply comes from my size :) :) :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave, also my handle, came from a night of heavy drinking with my best friend near Syracuse University about 12 years ago;-)
The bar was having a contest that night to break the all time record sales of OV splits in one night. As my friend (Kevin) and I staggered to the bar, the bartender yelled out, "And here comes Bob and Weave!" We roared with laughter, and the names have stuck since.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"The Bionic Banana", BEAUTIFUL!!! But why did he pick banana? 'Streetsweeper’ LOVE the story!!! I would have loved to see that one. “Aviator” DO you still fly? “Dreamer” Not BAD!!! “Weave” 12yrs ago??? Why are you still weaving today??? It’s all-good!!!

“TEACEL” The T is my name, (Tony) the E is my wife’s name (Élan) the A is my sons name (Aaron) CEL is the first three letters of my last name.

CB handle- Pittsburgh-Kid!!! Now I’m always getting razzed about this one!!! Spring chicken years, I was into sports and boxing was my second favorite. I fought and won GG’s in 67 and 68. Word had it I was the new Bill Conn!!! Hence the name Pgh-Kid came into play. Not called that by the public at all, but only by friends. I never followed up with boxing. Instead I picked my #1 favorite. Football, but eventually quit while attending college.

DD tell how you got yours, and what it could have been!!!

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Yep, Heading up to National Guard this weekend. Also have my Private Pilots Certificate checkride Friday morning! Gotta go study!

Aviator

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Our truck is smaller than a big rig and bigger than a scooter...hence, "Big Scooter" as we care nothing about driving a big rig. Hello. Aviator. I flew for the Army, too.:) :) :)

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
mcbride-last name-

reasons:
no real nick name ever given and no good story or reason to have a fancy one..<sob>-
too stupid to remember differant user names in forums-

E7mack96

Expert Expediter
E7mack96

Based on my first new commercial truck

1996 Mack with an E7-427 Motor

Handle is "Big Block"

From when i drag raced Big block 455 Olds engines by Mondello

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI FOLKS!
THOUGHT SOME OF THESE NAMES WERE REAL COOL! WEAVE! I WOULD'VE NEVER FIGURED YOURS OUT! SOUNDS LIKE ONE H... OF A TIME!

MINE CAME ABOUT BY HAVING THE LAST NAME OF SHARP AND BY HAVING A 327 ENGINE IN MY 67 NOVA, WHICH WAS MY MOMS CAR BACK IN 1967 THAT I'D BORROW AND CRUISE WOODWARD AVE. NORTH OF DETROIT. I USE TO TELL FELLOW CRUISERS THAT IT HAD A 327 IN IT WHEN IT ONLY HAD A 6 CYLINDER, WELL AFTER $18000.00 AND A BUNCH OF WORK IT NOW HAS THAT 327. MY HANDLE IS BARACUDA AND HAS BEEN FOR ABOUT 27 YEARS DUE TO OWNING A 70 CUDA,I DRIVE FOR CTX IN A CLASS 8 VOLVO STRIAGHT TRUCK (ONLY ONE I'VE SEEN OUT THERE) SO GIVE ME A SHOUT, I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM YA!:) :) :) :) TAKE CARE OUT THERE! SHARP327

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

"Tinman" became my CB handle back in l975. I was in the Coast Guard then, and my job title was Aviation Metalsmith (Tinbender in the Navy). I've grown tired after thrity years of repairing crashes and making modifications to airframes. That's why I'm driving - something I have wanted to do for a long time. I'm still a newbie, but do feel welcome when I correspond on this site.

Looking forward to hearing what "JUJU" stands for (besides good poetry!).

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Mine is no biggy. Hubby suggested dieseldiva, had someone ask me recently if it was because I sing, don't I wish!! Told them I thought it was more to do with attitude. The could have been that Tony is talking about is that the only thing the kids could come up with was "mother-trucker" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
now I wonder why I rejected that idea??

DD

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
hmmm..not much behind the jujubeans handle other than I like sweet thangs! *lol*

but my cb handle was the "Cat's Meow" and i ain't telling about that one..

jujubeans:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

SantaElfDriver

Expert Expediter
Well my nickname stands as it is, because that is what I do!!! My other name is Little One. Yep, thats right, the BIG guy gave me that name. My daddy calls me his best child, mom calls me her little child, and all my friends call me best friend. It became so confusing, so now all call me Little One!

Oh by the way, don't mention a word to Santa about me being here so early. That could cause me a little trouble back up at the old house. :D :D

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dang Elf’y!!! You sure are early!!! “NOT TELL” The Big Man??? That means you better take good care of all us EO members this year, or SC will here about you netting around and not doing your work.

Crazy Eddie

Expert Expediter
:+ Well this is what my niece called me one time about 7 or 8 years ago. We were over at Lake Weiss and I had been showing off on a jet ski, at one time I could do a few tricks with one, and she started calling me Crazy Uncle Eddie and I just thought it was funny so I use it as a message board name if it isn't already taken.

On another note I read these boards at least every other day but I don't post much because I just haven't had too many questions yet. I hope I will run into some of you guys for real soon as I have completed a CLASS A driving course and I now Have a Class A License with Tank, Hazmat & Triples. I am hoping to start with a refrigerated transport company here in Atlanta after Thanksgiving. I first started reading these boards after learning about expedited freight and doing a google search. I had a Class B license but no real experience as it I got it from all the years I worked at the fire department and from driving a dump truck as my second job on off days. So as you expect nobody really wanted a driver without OTR experience so I plunked down a credit card and got a Class A. I am sure glad I found these boards though and took some of you guys advice as I was all fired up and ready to sign on the dotted line for an FL70 Alumibunk and try to find work. LOL that would have ruined me financially with no experience. I read several of you guys warnings about jumping in too fast and "Drive for somebody else to start" was another warning. Thanks to all you guys and gals with the experience that help use NOOBS out!!I am sure I will be asking all of you for advice around February when they turn me loose with my own truck!!

BEWARE OUT ON THE ROAD COME DECEMBER: CRAZY EDDIE WILL BE MOBILE!!

Holy Longwinded Posts Batman, maybe I should change my screen name to BLAH BLAH BLAH:)

prescat

Expert Expediter
MY 14-YEAR-OLD CAT/BUDDY/LONGEST RESIDENT PET/OCCASSIONAL CO-DRIVER, WHO'S REAL NAME IS "PRESENT", (THE KIDS NAMED HIM WHEN WE RESCUED HIM FROM THE POUND MANY YEARS AGO) LIKES TO JUMP ON MY LAP WHEN I GO ON-LINE AND PUT HIS PAWS ON THE KEYBOARD AND STRETCH OUT. FORGET ABOUT READING THE PAPER WHEN HE'S AROUND ALSO! (I THINK HE DOES IT TO INSTIGATE ME AND THE DOGS), ANYWAY, THAT'S HOW I GOT "PRESCAT"