Whadaya think ???

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've been thinking over this whole "D" truck thing. I pay for a parking place at home; I pay fuel taxes; I get 7.5 miles to the gallon;I have to log and enter all scales. I've been considering a van for quite a while but I keep hearing about slow van business. Is there room out there for an old burned out sales rep , "D" driver to make a decent living???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been considering an Aerocell body on a C4500 cutaway. It would have about 16,500 gvw so it would still require logs. It would also be much more maneuverable at about 23-24' overall length. It shouldn't need a paid parking place anywhere. It could legally scale about 6000 pounds including driver and belongings. It could carry up to 4 skids. It should get around 16mpg or maybe a little more. If outfitted like dieseldoctors it would be an extremely comfortable vehicle. It seems like an overall good package.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I'd love to say there is always room for one more van. But the slowness as of late leaves me wondering... But I can't be a meanie like others and would always welcome another B unit.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've been thinking about this post and I think maybe I should have posted it on ask the recruiter so my favorite recruiter/safety guy could jump in on it. I'm a little (a lot) concerned since I've not been very busy in my "D" truck. I'd miss my 72" sleeper but the expenses would be lower if I sat around. Trouble is, the truck is paid for. I've been looking at vans in the truck stops and I can't believe the inventive ways you guys have set them up to be comfortable. I'm a tinkerer and I'd have a blast setting one up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the Aerocell you could look at it that you have a 196" sleeper. The 17' body has 16'4" inside behind the seats if I'm not mistaken. If you go to http://www.unicell.com/bodies/aerocell.html and click on the standard and optional equipment lists you can then click on anything there and get photos. On the options page be sure to look at both the bulkhead options and the walkthru option. If you don't take the walkthru the area above the regular van roof becomes storage capable of holding about 200 pounds. Having seen what dieseldoctor did with the SRW, I'd love to see what he could do with one of these.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
That one looked good to me too. I like tose Aerocells and even some single wheel hi-cubes look like they might be fun to put a sleeper in.