West Coast Freight

daveglass

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Cargo Van and I am based out of California, Los Angeles. How can I get hooked up with a company here on the West Coast.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
You willing to do local work? Or do you only want to run distance?

fired at you from my Droideka

daveglass

Seasoned Expediter
I can do both. I have exerience Running for Panther Fed Ex CC and Bolt Express. But that work was dispatched to me through a third party.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Orange Courier 3731 W. Warner Ave. Santa Ana CA. 92704. (949)-975-1313.

They get Fedex CC, UPS Express Critical, and Panther jobs. Competition is fierce because they have a huge local fleet but being available 24/7 will put you on the A list. Talk to Joe, he's a very good dispatcher and fair to everyone.

Located near the corner of Harbor Blvd and Warner Ave. From that corner go east one block on Warner and turn left on Otis. They are behind the large building on the corner.

daveglass

Seasoned Expediter
I will call. I signed up with Orange Courier several years ago. They did not seem to use me much because of there over abundance of drivers but I will try with them again Thank You.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
If you call most likely you will end up talking to Laurie Lee the receptionist and she will just tell you to come fill out an application. If you want to get a feel for the current work flow, go down there and stick your head in the dispatch window and talk to Joe. There is a phone by the window just pick it up and dial 254 to ring his extension so he doesn't have to leave the board.

daveglass

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks I am going to follow your Instructions on that One.
See if I can get a better response. Do you know of anyone else here on the west.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I do, but having worked for several others, Orange is three only one I would recommend. This time of year is the slow period like it is for most other courier companies. I always made a very good living there, whether on the road or in the office.

Cargo vans tend to do well there because they have a good base minimum charge for the vehicle when the customer requests it. Just be prepared to run your share of the envelopes.... but Joe is a very good and fair dispatcher. If you are asked to do something that's not very lucrative he will not forget it and always makes it up to you. Do not refuse any work, I can't stress that enough. Trust Joe to make it all worth while, and remember what I said this is a slow period every year. So hang in there and it will all come around. Best of luck to you.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Oh and one more thing. The other dispatcher for the orange county region is named Tim. He will frustrate you all to hell. He speaks inappropriately to drivers and the owner coddles him like a child. He is a fixture, been there since like 1994 and was at one time the fastest courier I ever saw.... amazing really. But now he sits in dispatch and I think he's losing his **** mind sometimes. Just ignore the dumb things he says and do the runs he sends you. Limit your words to "10-4" and move on, he is not out to screw anyone, he spreads the work around.... just warning You he talks like a spoiled know it all brat and it really gets under peoples skin.

HrHitter33

Active Expediter
anybody else out there? Doing Ca, NV ARZ etc.? I wanna move out there and drive that area, not needing runs back east. Can't due local, I.E. immediatte's but wanna do city to city. Thanks in advance

poondog

Active Expediter
Anyone know anything about Golden State Overnight? They are advertising for CV/PU owner operators in Reno. Thing is the ads seem to imply a high turnover, since they advertise constantly.